What's new

施設

mdchachi

6 Mar 2003
変化のある施設は、本線/IC/JCT/SAPA/料金所の退出道路を含む全てのルートを計測する

What's a good term that covers road structures such as interchanges, parking areas, service areas, etc.?
施設 often translates to "facilities" but it doesn't really sound natural here.
Maybe I answered my own question... but any better idea than "road structure"?

I interpreted his original post as asking for an appropriate term in English, not Japanese.
The source is already in Japanese, and uses the catch-all term 施設.

Civil engineering isn't anywhere near my specialty, so I'll refrain from offering my layman's advice.
If you're translating something in an official capacity, it's probably best to try to find English documents on the subject matter and see what terminology they use, or consult someone who has experience in the field.

appropriate term in English
Ohhhh.

Well, traffic infrastructure, transportation infrastructure, transport infrastructure are all possibly relevant terms, some more inclusive than others.

(Oops, I edited out the part where i wondered if roads themselves should be included as the above do while bentenmusume-san was replying. But I was wondering.)

Last edited:
Well, the definition given specifically says it includes 本線, which are the roads themselves, so it sounds like that's on target.

Thanks for the feedback. One issue is that makes it difficult is the Japanese text treats them as individual units. Like 前の施設から一つ先の施設まで but in English it sounds odd to say "from the previous road infrastructure to one road structure ahead."

Back
Top Bottom