What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

新設住宅着工床面積

xyukikazex

後輩
Reaction score
Yesterday a friend of mine asked me about this. At first I thought it was Chinese but then it turned out to be a construction/housing term in Japanese. There is a website that discuss this term but it didn't really explain it thoroughly: 新設住宅着工床面積

I also found another page that translated the term but I'm still not sure: 新設住宅着工床面積|この単語の英語・英訳は?-実用・現代用語和英辞典

So can anyone please explain what exactly it is? Any help is appreciated.

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
It is exactly as the bottom website translates it: floor space of newly built houses.
It is used in economics as a measure of the health of the economy. People building new houses with more and more floor space indicates an expanding economy. People building new houses with smaller floor space is indicative of a contracting economy.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
着工 means "already started to build". It's not just a plan, but not "have already built / finish building", either.

xyukikazex

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you both for the explanations. Does the 着工 part refer to the floor or the whole house? This is the word that got me confused.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The house. When a house starts to be built, the total floor space/area of the house is added to the statistics.

Top Bottom