What's new

掟vs法vs法律

VarickT

後輩
16 Aug 2015
Trying to understand the nuance in usage of the terms for my writing, fiction, in a modern or near future setting. If a police officer or similar person were delivering a "you are in violation of the law" type speech, would one be used preferentially? Would the type of law make a difference?

法 or 法律 is used. 法律に違反している, 法律違反だ, 法に触れる, etc. 掟 is for period drams or private rules (in yakuza or something).

法 or 法律 is used. 法律に違反している, 法律違反だ, 法に触れる, etc. 掟 is for period drams or private rules (in yakuza or something).
Thank you for responding. Based on your explanation, it seems like my intended usage falls somewhat between the two. A set of laws, accords, governing the interactions between humans and youkai. The police force he belongs to is secret, as most of the world still believes youkai to be only myth. I think that even though the laws are not known to normal human authorities, but are internationally enforced, he would probably use 法律. Does this sound correct?

Hmm, I think 規則 (rule) or 協定 (agreement) would be more suitable for your case. 協定 was used for the one between the organization and aliens in the movie Men in Black, if my memory is correct.

Hmm, I think 規則 (rule) or 協定 (agreement) would be more suitable for your case. 協定 was used for the one between the organization and aliens in the movie Men in Black, if my memory is correct.
You are very thorough. I had already named the accords 人妖協定, but I had forgotten about 規則. In the context of the conversation, he refers to the accords, and then states that they are in violation. I think 規則 might be just what I was looking for. Thank you. :)

Does this sound natural? Official?「人妖協定は都内殺害を禁ずる。規則に反する行為は反逆に当たり、死に値する。以上手段を選ばない。直ちにこの場を立ち去れ。」

人妖協定は都内(での)殺害を禁じている。 or 都内(での)殺害は人妖協定で禁じられている。 would be more natural.

What do you mean by 以上手段を選ばない。?

The translation I would use is, "As such, I will use any methods at my disposal."
The translation would be 手段に制限はない, but the problem is that the following sentence is 直ちにこの場を立ち去れ。. In this case, it's usually interpreted that it's saying about the restriction of the methods of the escape. I would say 執行に制限はない。適用されたくなければ直ちにこの場を立ち去れ。

Is 禁ずる archaic? Where might it be used?
It is already prohibited by the agreement, therefore the -te iru form 禁じている/禁じられている is used.

In addition, 死罪に相当する would be better than 死に値する.

In addition, 死罪に相当する would be better than 死に値する.
I was uncertain how to phrase that, thank you.

I've never heard 適用 used before. I know my japanese is still a bit immature, particularly as pertains to writing. Would watching police drama be beneficial in this case, do you think?

Back
Top Bottom