What's new

意味がある

Elizabeth

先輩
22 Apr 2003
It may just be a lack of exposure, but anyway it strikes me as curious how 'meaningful' can sometimes used in Japanese compared to English for anything that seems stimulating, novel, enjoyable, imactful etc. At least that is my impression as of this writing. In English it tends to be used in a much deeper and more personal or restricted sense, for truly enlightening experiences that may spark a reevaluation of someone's life or give them an new perspective on the world.

It's ever so slightly too odd and abrupt for example to say without any elaboration "Why not only respond to the mail that you thought was meaningful" or "Are you asking anything meaningful?" :? Are you asking anything I might be interested in? Are you asking something serious or just making light conversation?

返事を返す意味があると思ったメールだけ返事をしたらいかがでしょう。

それを聞いて何か意味があるのですか?

And as I was just informed not each of my emails were meaningful or worth responding to -- it must be an impossibly high standard to meet all or even most of the time. :p

Last edited:
Hi there!
Yes, "意味がある" is more of "no nonsense" than "meaningful" in many cases.

Check 意味がある on 英辞郎 on the Web.
http://www.alc.co.jp/index.html

じゃ、またね!

ありがとう、秋葉原さん!:) 了解しました。 As to the preferred form of 意味のある, is it just for syntax or grammatical reasons or is there also a distinctive meaning?

意味がある (attributive / predicative)
意味のある (attributive)

それは意味がありますよ。 OK
それは意味のありますよ。 NG
------------------------------

Both of these sentences have completely same meaning and interchangeable. 🎈
それは意味があることです。 OK
それは意味のあることです。 OK

こんにちわ 秋葉原さん!

それは意味がありますよ。 OK
それは意味のありますよ。 NG

二つの文はお互いに交換して使わない理由はなんとなくわかりました。

それと始めの例文を見る限り、両方とも「のある」」も「がある」も同じ意味や使い方になりましたか?どちらでも自然でしょうか? :?

返事を返す意味があると思ったメールだけ返事をしたらいかがでしょう。

それを聞いて何か意味があるのですか?

返事を返す意味あると思ったメールだけ返事をしたらいかがでしょう。is OK.
返事を返す意味あると思ったメールだけ返事をしたらいかがでしょう。is NG.

それを聞いて何か意味あるのですか? is OK.
それを聞いて何か意味あるのですか? is NG.
These NGs sound unnatural.

If they are changed to as follows, they'd be no problem in spoken language. However in writing, I don't think they are very neat.
返事を返す意味あるメールだけに返事をしたらいかがでしょう。
それを聞いて意味あることは何ですか?

See you! :)

それを聞いて何か意味あるのですか? is OK.
それを聞いて何か意味あるのですか? is NG.
These NGs sound unnatural.
こんにちわ 秋葉原さん!

それを聞いて何か意味があるのですか?

まず、上の文を詳しく調べるべきでしょうね。

それは聞いて何か意味の(が)あることでしょうか?
それは聞いて何か意味がありますか?

「それは」は使われる場合どちらもあまり自然ではありませんか?