What's new

ゴッド・スレイヤーの取扱説明書

I'm afraid I'm still stumped on ゲーム画面上、常に表示されます。冒険中、行動の目安にしましょう。This 目安 word is incompatible with my brain :/

I still have no clue what it could mean, even after looking through the links you posted :(

"A standard of your action" doesn't make sense? Basically, the sentence says that you need to pay attention to the data of the parameter when you do an action in the game.

BTW, I've just realized that that's ゲーム画面. Grammatically, it should be ゲーム画面下に, though.

冒険中、行動の目安にしましょう。

This sentence isn't referring to just one particular piece of information on the display at the bottom of the screen, but to the entire display right?

Not really. It refers to the parameter section displayed at the bottom of the screen, i.e., the picture at the top of the right page you linked.

EDIT:
Oh, wait. Do you mean the same thing I wrote above, not the entire screen, by "the entire display"? If so, the answer is yes.

Last edited:
I think I understand what 行動の目安 means, and what that sentence is saying, but I don't think that would be said in English which is why I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Oh and you forgot about this one:

各1・2・3まであり、玉・腕輪の装備で増えていきます。

まであり is confusing me, is it ま+であり or まで+あり ?

冒険中、行動の目安にしましょう。

When on a quest, use this (display) as a guide for your actions.
or
When on a quest, use this (display) to guide your actions.

In other words, use this parameter to help you decide if you should fight, run away, cast a spell, etc... (I don't know the game so I don't know exactly what that parameter indicates.

各1・2・3まであり、玉・腕輪の装備で増えていきます。

OK so after staring at this sentence for ages I think I've made some sense out of it, I think it is まで + あり.
Here's what I think it means: Your jewels (maybe coins?) will increase after each level gained up to level 3.

The sentence is about (looking at the image, that sentence by itself gives insufficient context) the parameter "フォース・レベル". 装備 is equipment or the act of equipping items.

あり = just the ~ます stem of ある、 commonly used much like the te-form to join sentences. So this is simply two statements about this parameter:
1) 各1・2・3まである
Unclear what 各 refers to - are there different types of "フォース"? (if this is some magic thing). In that case, each type has level 1, 2 and 3.
2) 玉・腕輪の装備増えていきます
It is increased by equipping (lit. increases with the equipment of) gems/bracelets.
(cannot be that the "gems" or whatever increase, as it is で here)

・ is often used like this for nouns, it is basically saying and/either.
For example:
中・高学生向け (a product) aimed at middle/high schoolers.

ステータス 現状態、つかもう!

This is the heading for the page describing status changes such as poison, petrification, cursed etc. The part I don't undestand and can't figure out is つかもう .

体が石になり、一定時間、動きがとれなくなります。

This is the description for the 石化 status. I'm trying to figure out what verb とれなくなります is.

ヌーパーの姿になってしまいます。攻撃は全くできなくなり、術も一部しか使えません。

This is the status for the cursed status. First question, what is ヌーパー. I'm guessing some unpleasant looking thing from Japanese folklore/mythology?
Second question, the end part, the cursed status clearly prevent one from performing some kind of fighting skill (術). Could 術も一部しか使えません mean "you can't use even one skill"?

Before that, would you mind letting me know if my translation for the 各1・2・3まで sentence makes sense in context/when playing the game, and if you get the grammar now? Particularly the use of で there is important to grasp.

(You also haven't acknowledged Majestic's last message, btw)

Could 術も一部しか使えません mean "you can't use even one skill"?

No.

Look up the use of しか; you're not even close.

Also look up 一部

Last edited:
Before that, would you mind letting me know if my translation for the 各1・2・3まで sentence makes sense in context/when playing the game, and if you get the grammar now? Particularly the use of で there is important to grasp.

(You also haven't acknowledged Majestic's last message, btw)

I apologize, if I don't acknowledge something and move right on it means I understood and from everything I can tell (without any experience of playing the game yet) I understand what you said and it makes sense, I wouldn't just move on and leave something not understood/not making sense. The same goes for Majestic's post, it makes as much sense as it can, until I play the game.

I do appreciate you saying this as I can be quite absent minded (a combination of several health problems), especially for important points like this, but I guess it would be better to not blindly speed through all this (I'm impatient you see, I want to get through the manual and start the game). This makes me likely to miss key points/details, which is why when one of my threads is complete I will download the entire thing, back it up nice and safe, and restudy it. But I will not pass anything by willingly, even if we must discuss one particular sentence for weeks, I will ask and ask until I see nothing left for me to learn (that I can recognize at least). Again I apologize for my lack of communication! I should show more respect to the people taking time to teach me.

So, let's see if I understood correctly, when I saw 装備 I thought well thats a noun since there is no form of する after it (玉・腕輪の装備 = your equipment such as jewels and bracelets), but で after it also makes it a verb even though it's not strictly active. Correct?

PS. Jewels and bracelets? This character sounds more like a woman going on a date then a warrior going on an adventure :/

ステータス 現状態、つかもう!

This is the heading for the page describing status changes such as poison, petrification, cursed etc. The part I don't undestand and can't figure out is つかもう .
That's the volitional form of つかむ.
Japanese verb conjugation - Wikipedia

体が石になり、一定時間、動きがとれなくなります。

This is the description for the 石化 status. I'm trying to figure out what verb とれなくなります is.
とる + ない + なる + ます

ヌーパーの姿になってしまいます。攻撃は全くできなくなり、術も一部しか使えません。

This is the status for the cursed status. First question, what is ヌーパー. I'm guessing some unpleasant looking thing from Japanese folklore/mythology?
Are there any typos in ヌーパー? It doesn't make sense at all.

Second question, the end part, the cursed status clearly prevent one from performing some kind of fighting skill (術). Could 術も一部しか使えません mean "you can't use even one skill"?
一部しか使えません is a partial negation.

So, let's see if I understood correctly, when I saw 装備 I thought well thats a noun since there is no form of する after it (玉・腕輪の装備 = your equipment such as jewels and bracelets), but で after it also makes it a verb even though it's not strictly active. Correct?
で is a particle indicating cause/reason, as nekojita-san translated "by".

PS. Jewels and bracelets? This character sounds more like a woman going on a date then a warrior going on an adventure :/
I read an explanation of the game on Wikipedia. The site say that jewels and bracelets are attached to swords, not the character.

That's the volitional form of つかむ.

Oh man, I know that form, I just didn't recognize it :(

Are there any typos in ヌーパー? It doesn't make sense at all.

No typos, I would suspect it is some character/monster in the game if you don't recognize it.

Edit: I don't know why or how I attached a black square to the post...

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-13_10-43-41.png
    upload_2014-12-13_10-43-41.png
    80 bytes · Views: 62
It's fine, from now just put "thanks, I get that part now" or something at the top of new posts.

BTW in RPGs 腕輪 can be stuff like this.
Gems normally go into slots in other equipment

装備 is still a noun grammatically, it's just sometimes easier/more natural to translate as verb in this style of sentence.
勉強で疲れた tired from study(ing).

Also where there is limited space, する drops off quite frequently. So 装備 on a button could mean either "Equipment" (noun) or "Equip") verb.

XしかYない with negative verb means Yない is generally true, except for X.
You can't use your skills, except for "一部"
You can only use some of your skills. (I think you got the gist, anyway)

彼、カップラーメンしか作れない
お菓子しか買わなかったでしょう?
1000円しか持ってないよ

術も一部しか使えません
You can only partly use your skills?

Very close.

You can use only a part of your skills.

To clarify what probably looks like a nitpicking difference:

Your sentence could be taken to mean you can use all your skills, but to a limited extent. What is actually being said is that you can use only a (unspecified) subset of your skills, but with no mention of limits on how well you can use them.

Dropbox - Error

敵からのダメージを防ぐ数値です。レベルアップと、体当りには鎧、発射物には盾で、数値を上げる事ができます。

This is describing the armour value and shield value. "Number that defends against an enemies [attack] damage. When you level up, this value can be increased by taking attacks to the armour and projectiles to the shield".

Those には's are the problem, they took a bit of guesswork.

レベルアップと鎧で体当りに対する(= against)数値を上げる事ができます and レベルアップと盾で発射物に対する数値を上げる事ができます make more sense?

レベルアップと鎧で体当りに対する(= against)数値を上げる事ができます and レベルアップと盾で発射物に対する数値を上げる事ができます make more sense?

I understand the には's now thanks for the rewording. Now though I notice I don't fully understand those で's . I don't think I fully undertand the sentence simply because it describes a common feature in practically every RPG. Is the で simply pointing out what the 数値 belongs to? Because that would make sense based on my experience of RPGs but my understanding of で is telling me that 鎧で means something like "by using the armour ie. wearing it in combat and being hit".

So I'm stuck inbetween those two meanings.

I read as "with" again. Your defence level rises with level and (for direct physical attacks) armour and (for ranged attacks) shield.

level up → increases all defence
armour → defends against direct attacks (e.g. sword/ax/whatever)
shield → defends against ranged attacks

Thanks I understand now.

On the next page is a numbered list of two descriptions. Like so:

1ページ目...
2ページ目...

My question is about those 目's on the end, the description of what is displayed on the specified page comes after the 目.

目 is a suffix for ordinal numbers.
e.g.
2ページ
two pages
2ページ目
the second page

−め【−目】
1 〔順序を表して〕
入院して7日目に
on the seventh day after one's admission to a hospital
入会者は彼で10人目だ
He was the tenth member to join.
彼女はうちから3軒目の家に住んでいる
She lives three doors from my house.
薬局は銀行から3軒目だ
The pharmacy is the third shop from the bank.
彼が生まれてから3年目に母親が死んだ
His mother died three years after he was born.
ケネディは何代目の大統領ですか
How many presidents were there before Kennedy?
上野は何番目の駅ですか
How many stations are there between here and Ueno?
目を英語で訳す - goo辞書 英和和英

防具と同じく、装備するだけで効力が現れますが、例外に[とびうさぎの靴]があります。この靴を使用する場合、指定後、フィールド画面でAボタンを押します。この時、必ず術は解除して下さい。

This is a small paragraph titled "装備アイテム". The part I'm having trouble with is 装備するだけで効力が現れます which to me looks like "only by equipping [things] will effectiveness appear" or less literally "it will only be effective if you equip [things]".

Is that right? I'm not expecting it to be.

Back
Top Bottom