What's new

だけ / 出

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
1. 「ハリーだけは、ハリーだけは、どうぞハリーだけは!」
「ハリーだけは、どうかお願い。私を、私をかわりに殺して」

The speaker is pleading for an attacker to take her life and spare Harry. What I can't figure out is why だけ is used here.

2. 空港で出時限爆弾が爆発し13名もの命を奪った。

What is the purpose of 出? How is it pronounced here?

だけ / 出

1. Emphasis

You have to also realize there are implied omissions there. We would say "anybody but him!" or "anything but that!" or the like. The nature of だけ precludes a need to actually mention the alternatives.

2. I would assume it is read で and guess that it is a countdown timer started upon leaving the airport rather than being set to go off at a specific time. Does the story give no clues?

1)
Yeah, ハリーだけは殺さないで! / 助けて!, for instance.

2)
That would be just a typo.;-) 空港で時限爆弾が爆発し is correct. I presume the writer typed で twice mistakenly.

The only place I could find 出時限 via Google was on the tatoeba.org site. They have it as ダシ.....and googling again yielded nothing with だしじげん.

Somebody ought to tell them about their error, I suppose.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406341140.374426.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406341153.555350.jpg

Yeah, the 21 search results of "出時限爆弾" both on Google and Yahoo are ALL only from this example sentence 空港で出時限爆弾が爆発し13名もの命を奪った. Oh my...

Yes, it's from the Tatoeba site. The Tatoeba sentences are mostly OK, but there's a sprinkling of errors and bad translations. Of course, on the Japanese side I often can't tell errors from correct language that I just I don't understand.

Back
Top Bottom