What's new

Where should I buy travel insurance IN Japan?

HanSolo

Sempai
6 May 2015
Hi All,
Trying to work out what to do with this. Please note the keyword is IN. There doesn't seem to be a way to search for this without just getting a page of 'travel insurance TO Japan' results.
I'm in Japan, have residency etc, and will be traveling overseas shortly for a trip. I'm going to get travel insurance for this, but obviously it's going to have to be from a Japanese company since Australian travel insurance is always based on your impending return to Australia. Usually I just do this online, but I have little confidence acquiring online travel insurance in Japan.
Anyone got any tips or advice where to go? My Japanese is terrible, so its not going to be easy for me to confirm insurance contract coverage for things like riding a motorbike. I'll probably ask my landlord to help but if anyone else has done this before I'd like to hear your story.
Cheers!

When I travel overseas, I use H.I.S travel and they do all the insurance works also. They have an English speaking staff, but all the paper work is in Japanese. Give yourself about 7 days before departure to get the form filled out for approval. A little longer I think is advisable though.

Also there is some information on the internet that the NHI (which I'm under) covers overseas medical costs resulting from injury or illness (excepting cases where the individual travels for the actual purpose of receiving that medical treatment).
E.g. https://yosida.com/forms/nationalins.pdf

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of that?
Cheers!

旅行保険

Shop around there, I traveled to the US last March, and I can't remember. It might have been AIU, mitsui-sumitomo, or something else.

on edit: you do need a credit card.

Back
Top Bottom