What's new

Where can I buy a Jizo statue in Shizuoka?

soozywilmott

後輩
13 Mar 2013
Hi,

I used to live in Japan for around 5 years. I now live in Australia. I recently lost a baby, and would like to buy a Mizuko jizo statue to remember him by. I havent really found anything searching on English sites, most of them seem to be gifts or garden ornaments and don't quite resemble the statues I remember at the temples. My language skills are a bit rusty these days but I could probably manage a Japanese website. I'm just not sure where to start, or whether they would ship to Australia.

I would prefer to buy one from the Shizuoka region, as I recall the region is well known for them, and its where I used to live but anywhere within Japan would be ok.

Thanks, Suzanne

If you want a stone Jizo those are pretty much all mass produced in China or elsewhere and imported to Japan these days, as are practically all tombstones.

Do you want stone? Or would wood or some other material be acceptable? How large do you want this to be? Budget?

This shop will accept overseas orders. I don't endorse them. I'm just providing a link. There may be others.

If you want a stone Jizo those are pretty much all mass produced in China or elsewhere and imported to Japan these days, as are practically all tombstones.

Do you want stone? Or would wood or some other material be acceptable? How large do you want this to be? Budget?

This shop will accept overseas orders. I don't endorse them. I'm just providing a link. There may be others.

Thanks so much. Western Australia is extremely strict with its customs regulations regarding wood, so it would probably need to be stone. The price of the statue doesnt matter, but it needs to be fairly small for shipping.

I'll have a look at the store, thanks again.

This guy apparently still hand carves each statue individually and the sizes and weights seem reasonable. The kind like you saw at temples are all factory jobs that people can get at any stonemason in any city anywhere in Japan so they may not be available online. If it were me, I'd rather have an individually crafted one. This guy has been hand carving them for 50 years. The cookie-cutter statues leave me cold. If that's the type you would like, I would be glad to check around for you on prices, sizes, weights, and shipping costs.

The guy linked to in this post sends out the statues and has people pay by bank transfer after they receive the statue and I see no mention of overseas shipping. But I feel certain something could be worked out with him. If something there strikes your fancy I could give him a call and see what can be done for you.

My uncle whom has been to the area apparently told me that the temple sells them, he was looking over my shoulder when I clicked on the question. I don't know if the information is valid, but that is what he had said. I should've probably researched the temple and such before making the asumption that what he said was true.

Hi,

I used to live in Japan for around 5 years. I now live in Australia. I recently lost a baby, and would like to buy a Mizuko jizo statue to remember him by. I havent really found anything searching on English sites, most of them seem to be gifts or garden ornaments and don't quite resemble the statues I remember at the temples. My language skills are a bit rusty these days but I could probably manage a Japanese website. I'm just not sure where to start, or whether they would ship to Australia.

I would prefer to buy one from the Shizuoka region, as I recall the region is well known for them, and its where I used to live but anywhere within Japan would be ok.

Thanks, Suzanne

Try Home2Garden.co.uk. They have large verity of japanese style statues and lanterns.

Back
Top Bottom