What's new

Question What pronouns to use when referring to animals

Maira.K

Registered
26 May 2021
Hi, I was wondering whether there are specific pronouns in Japanese that are used when referring to animals, for example, like when we would use "he/she" to refer to our pets in English. Would it still be "彼/彼女" in Japanese too?

You can use "he" "she" in Japanese as well. Or, if its awkward to use he/she, you can use the name (to avoid using he/she), or omit the pronoun altogether once its established who you are talking about.

Typically pets are referred to by their names in the similar manner that you would with children by adding an honorific ちゃん to their name or nick name.
If your pet's name was Mami, then you'd call her Mami-chan or Ma-chan most likely. And when you don't know the name they often add this to the animal sound they make.
So if you saw a dog you might say look at that cute ワンちゃん (ワン means "woof"). While this is kind of childish way of speaking it doesn't sound particularly odd for adults to use since it's used synonymously with "dog." Similarly ピーちゃん for birds etc.

Note, even 彼/彼女 are not really used similarly as in English pronouns because as soon as the subject is established, the continuous reference to the subject is dropped.
My brother is 12. He loves Pokemon.
弟は十二歳です。ポケモンが大好きです。

I see. So, if I wanted to say "This is my dog. Her name is Daisy," in Japanese I would say "これは私の犬です。名前はでイジ一 です。" ?

I see. So, if I wanted to say "This is my dog. Her name is Daisy," in Japanese I would say "これは私の犬です。名前はでイジ一 です。" ?
Yes, perfect. Except I think it might be more correct not to use これ but こちら like with humans. Also the で in the name should be デ of course.

Back
Top Bottom