What's new

what does this mean

Coffee4Me

後輩
18 Jul 2011
Hi,

I saw this on an N3 level practice (reading section) test at the JLPT website. "to iu to"
Can anyone tell me what this means?

Coffee4Me

That phrase can be used in some different contexts. Which one do you want to know, for instance?

Just looking at it, [A to iu to...] could mean "when you say A, ..." or "speaking of A", but yes, you need to give some context.

Something similar, [A to iu no wa], means something like "Regarding the one called A...", and is used to give definitions.

context of to iu to

Hi hitokiri679,

This is the text I found it in, from a practice study site for the JLPT, level 4, a 2003 test I believe...

私は 夏休みに 日本人の 友だちと いっしょに 友 だちの いなかへ 行きました。行く 時は 電車で 行ったので、12時間も かかりました。友だちの 家族 は みんな 親切でした。お父さんは 車で きれいな みずうみに つれて 行って くれました。みずうみ には 魚を つっている人や ふねに 乗っている人が いました。でも、およいでいる人は いませんでした 。友だちが ふねに 乗ろうと 言ったので、ふねに 乗りましたが、おちそうに なって、ちょっと こわか ったです。お母さんが 作って くれた 日本の 料理 は とても おいしかったです。お母さんに 私は お さらが 買いたいです。」と 言うと、お母さんが お店に つれて 行って くれました。 そこで、白くて まるい おさらを 3まい 買いまし た。この お店では、自分でも おさらや おちゃわん を 作れると 書いたので、私も 一つ 作りました。 おさらを 作るのは むずかしいので、小さい おちゃ わんを 作りました。帰りは 一人で ひこうきに 乗 って 帰って きました。夏休みに 友だちの いなか に 行く ことが できて、 ほんとうに よかったで す。

typos
typos
お母さんに「私はおさらが買いたいです。」と言うと、
自分でもおさらやおちゃわんを作れると聞いたので、

I'm not hitokiri-san, but that's not a set phrase というと but just 'quotation particle と + verb 言う + conjunctive particle と'. The conjunctive particle と expresses that the subordinate clause is the trigger of the main clause, and is used to describe a past fact objectively here. (This と is close to たら, though たら sounds more colloquial.)

[3] 次に起こる動作・作用のきっかけを表す。

話が始まる―、あたりは静かになった

山を見る―、友人のことが思い出される
「と」の検索結果 - Yahoo!辞書

I said "I want to buy a plate" to his/her mom, then she took me to a store.

You could also translate that as "when I said '...', she took me to the store", but the idea is the same. In addition to と and たら, you might also look up ば and なら to see the full range of nuances. と and たら can have "if" or "when" as the English equivalent, while ば and なら are basically just "if".

Thank you all for your help. Very much appreciated.

Coffee4Me.

BTW. Can anyone help with the translation of the Zen proverb I submitted on another post?

Back
Top Bottom