What's new

What does 年頃 mean in terms of marrigeable age and adulthood?

GenkaiPower

Kouhai
2 Apr 2021
I read this, and it uses the phrase:

grtj5gclq75d1.png

and was wondering what does it mean regarding marrigeable age? does it mean adulthood?

I believe it can mean either one. It means "appropriate age" which is often taken to mean marriageable.
1. Thnx but I was told
お年頃 in this context refers to the age or period which one gains interest in dating or finding romantic partners.

Is that correct? which one is correct?

2. By appropiate/marriegable age it means adulthood correct?

1. Thnx but I was told
お年頃 in this context refers to the age or period which one gains interest in dating or finding romantic partners.

Is that correct? which one is correct?

2. By appropiate/marriegable age it means adulthood correct?
Is this a book cover or something else? Until relatively modern times (1) and (2) are the same thing are they not? If you're old enough for romance, you're old enough to get married. So depending on the time period it could be as low as 16.

Is this a book cover or something else? Until relatively modern times (1) and (2) are the same thing are they not? If you're old enough for romance, you're old enough to get married. So depending on the time period it could be as low as 16.
I see the manga was written in 2014
so if the words used does it mean the characters an adult?
what do you mean low as 16?

I see the manga was written in 2014
so if the words used does it mean the characters an adult?
what do you mean low as 16?
I wasn't talking about when the manga was written but I mean the time it is set in. If it's modern times and the protagonist is a teenager or still in school I'd guess the meaning is (1) as you were told.

I wasn't talking about when the manga was written but I mean the time it is set in. If it's modern times and the protagonist is a teenager or still in school I'd guess the meaning is (1) as you were told.
I was wondering can the phrase be used for young adults as well?

「年頃」に丁寧の「お」をつけた表現。 思春期や、恋愛などに興味を持つ年齢などを指す

It's a phrase that doesn't have a set age range. It means when someone is first aware of feelings of love, romance, sex. It could start at puberty, but it could also last into a person's 20s.
If a young woman lived at her parent's house until, for example, college, and then went off to college in her 20s, the phrase could easily apply to her.

「年頃」に丁寧の「お」をつけた表現。 思春期や、恋愛などに興味を持つ年齢などを指す

It's a phrase that doesn't have a set age range. It means when someone is first aware of feelings of love, romance, sex. It could start at puberty, but it could also last into a person's 20s.
If a young woman lived at her parent's house until, for example, college, and then went off to college in her 20s, the phrase could easily apply to her.
Thank you. though does お年頃 with the prefix mean adolescence?

You mean with the prefix "お"?
お is just an honorific. It doesn't change the meaning, not in this case anyway. So as I mentioned above, you shouldn't think of this word has having a hard start or cutoff date. An adolescent who starts to become aware of the opposite sex and starts to seek out the attention of the opposite sex (often with the side effect of being moody or rebellious towards his/her parents) could be described as お年頃. As mentioned above, this "phase" can last well into early adulthood.

You mean with the prefix "お"?
お is just an honorific. It doesn't change the meaning, not in this case anyway. So as I mentioned above, you shouldn't think of this word has having a hard start or cutoff date. An adolescent who starts to become aware of the opposite sex and starts to seek out the attention of the opposite sex (often with the side effect of being moody or rebellious towards his/her parents) could be described as お年頃. As mentioned above, this "phase" can last well into early adulthood.
Thank you replying so to be clear
1.So if the phrase was used for someone お年頃 it could mean someone in their early 20s?
2. If the phrase was used to describe someone, I was told most would assume they are an adolescent. Is that correct?
I read this here
https://64.media.tumblr.com/013a4e050332921318855b0d268a300f/tumblr_nahr37WJ5g1r8fnauo1_1280.jpg.
and here's the translation
https://64.media.tumblr.com/28a509d5d84c8b5a5659c19bcc4037c9/tumblr_naprptGP821txc1gno2_1280.jpg
And is it correct about the sentence using the word お年頃 to translate as is of " marriegable age for now". Would the correct sentence be "Even she's at the age to find love and for now she only knows of romance in novels"
I ask because the translation adds exclamation mark after fall in love someday which I can't see in the og text. So what's the correct translation?

Thank you replying so to be clear
1.So if the phrase was used for someone お年頃 it could mean someone in their early 20s?
Yes
2. If the phrase was used to describe someone, I was told most would assume they are an adolescent. Is that correct?
Well, yes its often used to describe teens and adolescents because this is when people usually start having these thoughts.

But the point is: お年頃 isn't meant to point to a specific age. It's used to express the idea that a person is starting to be aware of the opposite sex.

Mate, you're killing me. I have no idea what age this fictional girl is. 16, 18, 20, 22? Could be any of the above.
She's a fictional girl who is looking for romance. She looks vaguely between 19 and 22.

Back
Top Bottom