What's new

What approach do you use for self study of Japanese

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
Right now I'm using what is on YouTube and I have a elementary school kanji book, grade 1 thru 6. If I can post a copy of it here, I think many might be interested in it. With this and the community newsletter and google translate, I hope to make some progress real soon.

Also I'll be posting my questions on how do "I say this in Japanese", if I need help, which I do, I'm sure.

You need to get yourself a proper beginner's textbook created for foreigners. The Genki titles are frequently recommended.

If you know how to read hiragana and katakana, I have heard good things about みんなの日本語. It appears most Japanese universities use that book to teach japanese for their foreign students but that books really requires diligence. It wouldn't hurt to also have a japanese friend help you with it too. I have heard good things about the genki series as well but some prefer みんなの日本語 since they don't have to read any english at all. It helps them with immersing themselves into the language. Do some research before deciding because at least with みんなの日本語 you need to buy quite a few numbers of books as supplement.

I agree.
You should buy either the Genki or みんなの日本語. I am actually planning on purchasing the Genki books when I get some more money.
I would also recommend you try a online site. I use Japanesepod101.com. Their lessons are fun, and it really helps with listening comprehension and speaking practice. The only downside to their site is that their explanation of the grammar can be lacking at times. However asking questions on here has helped to clear up any problems I have had.
I would also recommend getting Anki. It is a free flashcard program for your pc or phone. Really helps with learning new vocab.
My last piece of advice to you for self study is to set some sort of goal. Like studying for a hour a day for example. Something to keep you focused everyday on learning and to keep you going when you feel like you are not making progress.
With that I wish you the best of luck and do not be afraid to post on here with any questions you have.

Back
Top Bottom