What's new

News Volunteers collecting 135kg of waste on Mount Fuji

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Volunteer clean-up activities are some of the most admirable traits of Japanese society. The behaviour of Japanese fans during international sports events such as the World Cup and the Olympic Games never fails to trigger praise among Western, or below, Qatari observers.

Recently, a group of volunteers organised by the Japanese alpinist Noguchi Ken cleaned up the Aokigahara area of the Yamanashi Prefecture village of Narusawa, commonly referred to as the "Sea of Trees." They collected some 135 kg of rubbish, noting the increasing number of bottles of urine that are being discarded. :confused:

noguchi-ken-cleanup.jpg

The "Mount Fuji Clean Tour," sponsored by The Mainichi Newspapers Co. and the nonprofit Fujisan Club, was held on Nov. 19 in the Aokigahara area of the Yamanashi Prefecture village of Narusawa, commonly referred to at the "Sea of Trees." Around 35 people took part, picking up trash including drink bottles and bento containers. The tour was part of the Mount Fuji restoration campaign launched by The Mainichi Newspapers in 2000. "Over the past few years, there has been a surge in the number of plastic bottles containing urine that are believed to have been discarded from the road," Noguchi said. "I want all of us to think together about countermeasures." Tomoyuki Todate, a 39-year-old office worker from Hachinohe, Aomori Prefecture, who took part in the cleanup, commented, "I was surprised by the sheer amount of garbage. It made me think about what could be done so that the trash is no longer tossed away like this."

Back
Top Bottom