What's new

Visa??

KSambol

後輩
5 Oct 2006
Chisa and I plan to backpack in Japan for 2 months this summer, and I was wondering, is getting a Visa required? Or will I be fine living off cash? What sort of paperwork will I need besides my passport? 🙇‍♂️

You do realize the sort of "visa" you need isn't a credit card, I hope.

I am interested to know more as well. i thinkwe can stay iin japan up to max 3 months . anything more than that, we need to apply for a visa ?

I am interested to know more as well. i thinkwe can stay iin japan up to max 3 months . anything more than that, we need to apply for a visa ?
No matter what you need a visa, but some countries have treaties with Japan that allow their citizens to receive a short term (3 month) visa upon entry with proof of a round trip flight.
It depends on what treaty your country of citizenship has with Japan.
Not all countries have this arrangement.

Chisa and I plan to backpack in Japan for 2 months this summer, and I was wondering, is getting a Visa required? Or will I be fine living off cash? What sort of paperwork will I need besides my passport? 🙇‍♂️
The passport, the money & a round trip ticket should get you to Japan and back just fine. You should plan on having cash on you rather than using your credit card since Japan is more of a cash-based society...

Who's Chisa??

No matter what you need a visa, but some countries have treaties with Japan that allow their citizens to receive a short term (3 month) visa upon entry with proof of a round trip flight.
It depends on what treaty your country of citizenship has with Japan.
Not all countries have this arrangement.

Judging from the OP's flag, he is from the U.S. which has a 90-day visitor treaty with Japan. No visa is necessary as he plans a two-month visit.

You do realize the sort of "visa" you need isn't a credit card, I hope.

Looks like he was tacking on that final question.

I dont know too many spots in the metro areas that didnt take VISA, but that might be iffy the further out you get - which is really standard for most places, including the US.

I'm actually not quite sure about what the visa is... I had never even heard of it before this forum, so filling me in would be nice. . . :cautious: And btw, I'm female... and Chisa is a member here. And thank you for your replies!

I'm actually not quite sure about what the visa is... I had never even heard of it before this forum, so filling me in would be nice. . .

A visa is permission to enter a foreign country for some specific purpose and period of time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_(document)

Lots of people (primarily Americans, I would guess) make the same mistake, so don't feel bad for not knowing the difference between a visa and a Visa.

OH. Learn something new every day. I suppose I'll get all the details when I go get my passport.

OH. Learn something new every day. I suppose I'll get all the details when I go get my passport.
Err..no...you won't. Not unless the US passport issuing office is staffed by a group of Lonely Planet contributors.
For details of entry visas you should checkout the embassy homepage of each and every country you would like to visit. Here's Japan's main Washington DC homepage for starters:
http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/english/html/travel_and_visa/visa/index.htm
--

Back
Top Bottom