• Get married with his girlfriend

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ax

後輩
27 May 2003
Dear all.

As my job terminates end of January, will they make me leave at the same day?
My current visa lasts until September 2005. Is there any way I can ask for extension? Or if I want to change to student visa. Is it still possible now?
thanks in advance.

ax

Hello ax,

I've been reading your thread and have great sympathy for you. I really hope you can find a new job.

Regarding your visa, I'm sure you can stay until the visa expires. If you find a job and the employer provides guarantee, you most likely can extend your work visa.

If you obtain admission to a school, you can switch to a student visa. I'm not sure about requirements now, but I think you need to be admitted to a government-certified school (i.e., university or graduate school) to get the visa. Probably, other members have details on that.

Good luck! 🙂

More details please.

Is your apartment company owned?
What type of work visa are you on?
Are you a university graduate?
What type of work would you be willing to do?
What sort of 'studying' do you want to do - full-time or part-time, university-level, language school etc.?
Are you in a position to support yourself financially?

Is your apartment company owned?
I rent my apartment with the help of my company. THey deduct my salary to pay for the apartment monthly to ease the payment process.

What type of work visa are you on?
I am on working Visa for Technology workers. It was for a year starting from Sep 2004 to Sep 2005. In case of sudden termination from the company, I do not know if the Visa is still good for its original terms. My experience says in Taiwan, the company has to report me to the immigration, and immigration has to cut down my stay to the day of termination.

Are you a university graduate?
I was graduated from University in Jakarta majoring Informatics in 1997.

What type of work would you be willing to do?
I am looking for a job as technical or office desktop support which requires my abilility to speak languages. Perhaps a company with workers of multilingual backgrounds. However, I am willing to consider alternative jobs where my skills can still qualify. I just make my resume available for download from my site.
English ver.
http://www.yoop.ch/~anton/antonxie.zip
Japanese ver.
http://www.yoop.ch/~anton/antonxjp.zip

What sort of 'studying' do you want to do - full-time or part-time, university-level, language school etc.?
Should I switch to studying, there are two options that I am exploring now.
- Go to a cheaper language school that offers a yearly Visa. I think I can support myself for a year provided that I can find part-time job at the same time.
- Get a scholarship for graduate school. My girlfriend has been contacting her ex dean in graduates school for inquiry of this matter.

Are you in a position to support yourself financially?
I will be able to support myself for at least 4 months without a job. My girlfriend can offer me a board while I am jobless.

ax

IT work for gaijin is not as abundant as it used to be - however IT work for gaijin with Level 2 Japanese proficiency is more common. Perhaps taking some time out to study would be a good idea.

I assume your girlfriend is Japanese. If so, and if you've been together for a long time, there IS a very straightforward way to allow you to remain in the country indefinitely. Worth thinking about anyway.

Yea, but that's not really a very healthy reason to marry.

Not saying it's wrong, I'm just of the "don't-rush-into-things" train of thought. Unless it's been a topic for a while, I'd stay away from that one. If it has been, well, residency is as good a reason for "when" as any, just as long as it's not the only "why."

Of course it isn't a very healthy reason to marry. But if it is something they happen to be planning on doing anyway (if if if if if), then it does indeed solve his immediate problem.

Spouse visas: Allowing the otherwise unqualified to stay in Japan since 19xx.

I do not want to rush in to marriage. Its the last in my options and my girlfriend has not given me a nod into this either. She thinks she is too young to think about marriage, she was just out of graduate school last year and just working for half a year near Tokyo. She seems to be a very nice girl. She treated me like nobody has treated me before. I think I would not think twice if she give me her hand, but the idea of getting married for the purpose of staying just not seems right to me.

ax

There is a damned if you do and damned if you don't element to the question of kokusai kekkon.

My wife and I got married in December 1996, one month after my then boss had told me that my contract would be finishing in the following February. In my defense I may say we had already been engaged for ten months. The termination of my contract was a direct result of that engagement - boss' wife wasn't keen about her pet gaijins marrying locals.

It's strange, the things that will conspire to leave you recently celebrating your eighth wedding anniversary and shortly to be marking your son's second birthday!

I have been applying for jobs available on daijob.com and careercross.com
there has been several replies, only to confirm my phone number of sort. No prospective interview yet. I called the immigration today. They said, I need to report once I leave my present tenure and I will have to leave the country. I can file application for sightseeing visa for 3 months, but if I found a job in that three months, I cannot change my visa to working visa but have to leave the country. They said I can keep my passport and not reporting to them, they will pretend they don't know my whereabout. But if I found a job later, I would have to explain where I have been during the lost time. I asked them if I would be black-listed in this case, they say they don't know.
They told me if I want to change to student visa, I have to do it fast because they have accept tons of student visa application for April. I really don't know what to do. Perhaps I can take the 3 months sightseeing visa, then change to student visa for a year then if I found a job by then change again to working visa. May God bless my plan. Worse still, the apartment I stay want me to report one month before I leave, that means I have to pay for february. When I do not even stay there for the whole month. I would effectively move out from my apartment end of January.

ax

Yeah - I'm not sure about that 'having to leave the country to change your visa thing'. It certainly used to be the rule - Seoul always used to be the most popular destination. Gaijin working here illegally on tourist visas would wait three months and then pop off to South Korea for the weekend. Anyway I seem to remember reading something about being able to change status and remain in the country - and it WASN'T for a spouse visa – definitely work visa related.

Of course, by actually contacting the immigration office you kinda alerted them to you situation, which I personally would have tried to avoid. I don't mean that you should do anything illegal, but there's legal by the book, and legal based on what everyone actually does. Still, I'm confident you can get something sorted out - you don't sound like the bleeding hearts elsewhere in the forum. I've yet to know the gaijin who wasn't able to keep him or herself, through choice, in the country one way or the other.

I have got an interview yesterday at Skip city in ツ静ャナ津サツ「kawaguchiツ」, the position is for IT Helpdesk. It was a short 15 minutes interview. I feel quite confident. I was praying hard and made the point of saying the Lord's prayer before the interview. I really hope I will get this job. Today I have another interview in Roppongi at 4.00 and I am expecting another interview early next week for a localization support position. Please pray for me.

ax

Just a little grammar point - love the poll idea BTW - anyway, one gets married TO another person.

After undertaking the legal union you could say that you were: "Married with no kids". Or perhaps several years later: "Married with two kids"; or if a sumo wrestler or young Japanese pop idol you would definitely have to say: "Married with a kid well on the way even before the ceremony"

One might also MARRY a serving of chilli WITH some jalapeno peppers to produce a greater arse-disrupting effect - just an after-thought - or should that be an after-burn?

Good luck with the job hunting.

Back
Top Bottom