What's new

USD fluctuations

okinawaholic

Sempai
Donor
19 Aug 2019
I posted this a while ago, but Toyota just closed 5 of its plants here in Japan. I think they got one or 2 plants in America also. Wonder when they close them down?
I missed it. But that explains why my car is taking 2 months to order...

Hopefully this one lasts longer.

I was somewhat economically impacted on buying new because I primarily earn dollars and was gonna exchange at 110, maybe 112, how the markets were going.

Then, BOOM — $1 to ¥100. It went up to 104.6 but I negotiated 104.8 cause I know forex and foresaw it going up more, but wouldn't give me 1 yen less (105) even though projected to hit 106+ the next day... but, in fear of news I traded at 104.8.

It's now 108.65, so could've gotten 109.

Lost 100,000 yen on panic buying. :(

I missed it. But that explains why my car is taking 2 months to order...

Hopefully this one lasts longer.

I was somewhat economically impacted on buying new because I primarily earn dollars and was gonna exchange at 110, maybe 112, how the markets were going.

Then, BOOM — $1 to ¥100. It went up to 104.6 but I negotiated 104.8 cause I know forex and foresaw it going up more, but wouldn't give me 1 yen less (105) even though projected to hit 106+ the next day... but, in fear of news I traded at 104.8.

It's now 108.65, so could've gotten 109.

Lost 100,000 yen on panic buying. :(

Its at 110 today.

Its at 110 today.
On the market, but exchange places take 1-3 yen off the top to profit exceedingly more on their trades. On base takes another 1-2 yen, but can sometimes be (rarely) favorable because if they buy at 110 and off base/markets dip, they still sell for what they physically bought that lot for while off base would be 106-108 for eexample.

On the market, but exchange places take 1-3 yen off the top to profit exceedingly more on their trades. On base takes another 1-2 yen, but can sometimes be (rarely) favorable because if they buy at 110 and off base/markets dip, they still sell for what they physically bought that lot for while off base would be 106-108 for eexample.

That's true, but our SS is based on the going rate as far as I can tell. So for us, the higher the yen as it goes up, the more yen we get from our SS, which to begin with is very small.

That's true, but our SS is based on the going rate as far as I can tell. So for us, the higher the yen as it goes up, the more yen we get from our SS, which to begin with is very small.
Luckily, I don't have that problem. It's only when it dips to like 74 when I grind my teeth 😬. Fortunately, the cost of living is so low that I can make it, but because it dipped like that before, I opted to finance in dollars (my bank is sweet—car in my name and if I default on the loan cause COVID, they can't take it because they're not a Japanese bank so they can't be a lien holder... not to mention, if anything is COVID related like we get infected and need to stay at a hospital, they'll exempt some payments instead of reporting you to credit now.)

COVID is gonna be an odd one with USDJPY as Japanese has to fund so many, and America might do the same.

If Japan just prints more money, they may stay in line with the falling USD because of debt incurred.

However, if Japan chooses to sell off its foreign currency positions to fund it, the USDJPY pair could be very favorable to me in the coming years.

I bought a bunch of dollars on the 10th @102.6, switched back to yen on the 20th @109.8, making about 7 yen on each dollar. Shoulda doubled/tripled down on that. (but even if I had, it wouldn't cover the US mkt decline)

I bought a bunch of dollars on the 10th @102.6, switched back to yen on the 20th @109.8, making about 7 yen on each dollar. Shoulda doubled/tripled down on that. (but even if I had, it wouldn't cover the US mkt decline)

How is the market going these days?

With some leverage, you could've killed it.

It takes a very brave person to plunge into the market these days. The swings are just too wild, and there is too much ugliness yet to be revealed.
The US dollar bet early in the month was a very good one. Also, anyone who bought gold when the panic sellers drove it down to the $1400s is smiling as well. The next four months though...whew. Fun if you like roller coasters and are sitting on loads of cash. If you meet only one of those conditions, you might want to stay out a while. Every new round of volatility brings a new round of panic sellers. Every new round of panic selling brings a new round of people who have to liquidate holdings to meet margin calls, or maybe just to pay the bills, which drives prices even lower. I don't have the guts to watch these wild price swings. I'm waiting until the unemployment numbers and some other data points are announced, then we should find a bottom. Might take until June. (But guaranteed, by waiting and watching, I will miss out on some bargains).

My wife's 401K outfit says leave things alone and don't worry , you know it will go back up in the future. When ever people talk about dollar vs yen , I remember the good ol days for me when 1 dollar bought 360 yen and I lived like a king in Fukuoka.

Disclaimer: I have never traded in currency.

I emailed my brother, who does have dollars, and suggested that with the particularly rapid growth in the number of cases of the virus in the US, the lack of accessibility of the health system for the poorer half of the population, the very high level of gun ownership, and its dsyfunctional leadership and frontier mentality, the US is probably more vulnerable than any other developed country to its society collapsing under the pressures being caused by the epidemic. I would be selling my dollars if I had any.

Disclaimer: I have never traded in currency.

I emailed my brother, who does have dollars, and suggested that with the particularly rapid growth in the number of cases of the virus in the US, the lack of accessibility of the health system for the poorer half of the population, the very high level of gun ownership, and its dsyfunctional leadership and frontier mentality, the US is probably more vulnerable than any other developed country to its society collapsing under the pressures being caused by the epidemic. I would be selling my dollars if I had any.
Nice theory, but the NG and Marshall Law will lay that to rest.

109+ today :(

Out like 120,000 yen.

But, can't look back now.

I'll make up for it with AT&T gains, especially after the merger of Warner, to be 200%+ as well as Exxon at about the same rate. Those are my two long picks to double/triple money.

What about stocks in the marijana business? Or liquor business. Japan beer sales are booming at the moment.

What about stocks in the marijana business? Or liquor business. Japan beer sales are booming at the moment.
Until the beer companies start switching their production to high-percentage alcohol for sanitation as is happening in some places!

Back
Top Bottom