What's new

Two questions?

Tomii515

やった~!
16 Feb 2006
1.)

It's a fairly simple question; I'm just not sure exactly how to do this correctly.

If you were to say "My hobby is skiing." or something like that, would it be like this?

趣味はスキーすることです。

2.)

I think I might've asked this before, but I never really got an answer... Or mayeb I never asked it. :p

What does it mean when someone ends a sentence with the -te form? I mean, other than it being a colloquial commend... I've heard this a lot, and I've even seen it in dialogs in textbooks. Here's two examples I've seen in one of my books:

「日本語の試験の日に、ほかの試験が二つもあって・・・。」 - I'm thinking this one might be because they just never finished their sentence so like "... there are another two tests, and..." or something like that.

「私、今日も授業休もうと思って。」 - For this one, this is the main thing I hear/see sometimes. I don't understand why they didn't just make it 思う/思います.

よろしくお願いします。

If you were to say "My hobby is skiing." or something like that, would it be like this?
趣味はスキーすることです。
Yes. You can also say (私の)趣味はスキーです.

「日本語の試験の日に、ほかの試験が二つもあって・・・ 。」 - I'm thinking this one might be because they just never finished their sentence so like "... there are another two tests, and..." or something like that.
Right. Probably that's the explanation of the reason, as same as ~から(ほかの試験が二つもあったから). It seems to be used for an excuse in the example sentence.

"Because there are another two tests on the same day, I can't study well for the Japanese test. So I failed...," or like that.

「私、今日も授業休もうと思って。」 - For this one, this is the main thing I hear/see sometimes. I don't understand why they didn't just make it 思う/思います.
Wmmm, it would be originally the omission of the sentence-end word, too.

今日も授業休もうと思ってるんだけど、どう思う?, いいかな?, etc..

It sounds softer than when just stating 思う.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom