What's new

Tribute to: Hachiko the Loyal Dog of Shibuya Station

25 Dec 2005
Outside of Shibuya Station in Tokyo there is a bronze statue of an Akita-ken breed dog named Hachiko. It sits looking toward the station.

For those of you who have never been to Shibuya station or have never heard of Hachi-ko, he was born in 1923 and sold to a well to do family in Tokyo while still a puppy. The father of this family, a Tokyo University professor in his 50's, loved Hachiko very much and doted on him constantly, taking him for long walks, always brushing him, and even taking baths with him inside the home. He treated him truly as one of the family.

Up until Hachiko was two years old, he always walked to the station with the father and after the father went through the stalls he would go home by himself. But, then he would return every day to wait outside the stalls to meet the father coming home. All the locals and train station people knew this man and this dog had a special bond.

One day however, the father died while he was teaching at the university. Hachiko went to pick him up but he never came. And, Hachiko never stopped waiting. Every day for about 10 or 11 years he went and waited until finally he died in front of the station on a cold night, thin, malnourished, old and heartbroken that his master never returned.

It is nice to think, that in death, Hachiko went to meet him, or perhaps, his master came to get him this time.

Japanese reporters wrote of his loyalty and he has since become famous. Many people make plans to meet their friends at the "Hachiko" station in Shibuya.

Friends and loyalty -- the importance of it shown to us by a dog.

If read about Hachiko a couple of weeks ago, great story! Here you can see the fact of how loyal Dogs can be.

strongvoicesforward said:
Friends and loyalty -- the importance of it shown to us by a dog.
Loyalty or simply habit?
Do dogs actually feel something like friendship & loyalty?
Or are dogs just stupid gregarious animals?
Are dogs stupid gregarious animals, domesticated to become even more stupid, reliant lap dogs?
Are dogs vegetarians?

Every year on April 8th, a ceremoney is held at Shibuya station remembering the loyalty of Hachiko the dog as he waited day after day and year after year for the return of his beloved master who died while away.

Many dog lovers come to remember Hachiko and his story has captured the hearts of many who see value in steadfast faithfulness and loyalty to a beloved to the bitter end.

bossel said:
Loyalty or simply habit?

We have to make our own choices about it. Many think Hachiko demonstrated faithfulness and loyalty to his master.

Do dogs actually feel something like friendship & loyalty?

Many do believe so. The newspapers who reported on Hachiko felt so, too.
Many will attest to warm feelings of friendship to their dogs.

Or are dogs just stupid gregarious animals?
Are dogs stupid gregarious animals, domesticated to become even more stupid, reliant lap dogs?

Poor hearted individuals unable to extend the benefit of the doubt may think so. Many however, do not view them as stupid just because they don`t have our same intelligence levels. Hachiko, after his owner had died, eventually became homeless and had to rely on his wits to survive for many years. While the cynics may refer to him as stupid, those with some warmth in their hearts and compassion would not.

But, there are those 'hold outs' who continue to view things narrowly.

Are dogs vegetarians?

Off topic.

In any case, that is my favourite part of Japan... all the cool good looking kids stand around bored looking smoking their Mild Sevens there... : )

A Japanese likes a story of a faithful dog.
ANIME which a Japanese likes.
A Dog of Flanders (Anime)
The last scene where a dog dies with a boy,
I cry😭

B00005HYNS09LZZZZZZZ-1.jpg

Hiroyuki Nagashima said:
A Japanese likes a story of a faithful dog.
ANIME which a Japanese likes.
A Dog of Flanders (Anime)
The last scene where a dog dies with a boy,
I cry😭
B00005HYNS09LZZZZZZZ-1.jpg

I have been to the church where they died in Antwerp, and my Japanese wife was really impressed by being there.

I never heard of that story... but the church was impressive🙂

My Cat used to wait for me to finish work at the bottom of the stairs outside every night, if it was a late night he would wait for me at the end of the driveway.

Actually he wasnt always my cat, but one night he just turned up meowing, and when I opened the door he came barging in and never left.
No tags or anything, didnt appear to be neglected... must have gotten lost on the way, but I never did find his owner.

Unfortunately I had to give him to my best friends mother when I moved to a different city. I knew that he would be super spoilt and looked after with them though.
His name is Puppy tubby tumbles, he's so huge and fat and fluffy he looks like a dog. His nickname is Tubbles.

Dutch Baka said:
I have been to the church where they died in Antwerp, and my Japanese wife was really impressed by being there.
I never heard of that story... but the church was impressive🙂

I went to Antwerp, and it is 1995
I watched a picture of Rubens.
I remembered the last scene and cried:(

depf2rub-1.jpg

was it this picture? I thought it was the picture in the middle? at least that's what my wife is telling me....

That story is so heartbreaking. Hachi and the master absolutely had a friendship, and walking to and from the station with the master was his favorite thing to do in the world.

Dogs and their owners can develop amazing relationship.

Dutch Baka said:
was it this picture? I thought it was the picture in the middle? at least that's what my wife is telling me....
There are two pieces of pictures of Rubens
"Raising of the Cross"
"Descent from the Cross"
Nero was able to watch "ツ青ケ窶「テェ窶敕ュツ渉ク窶弖(Assumption of the Virgin)" of the main altar anytime, but was not able to watch two pieces of other pictures

The last scene of a movie version
http://www.nippon-animation.co.jp/na/flanders/fl-l1.jpg

SVF you mind if i quote your first post for my website? ill put your litle name and everything. lol

Carlson said:
SVF you mind if i quote your first post for my website? ill put your litle name and everything. lol

By all means, Carlson. Be my guest. Happy to see you spreading the tribute.

I will add some more here about Hachiko soon. So, please come back and visit to see more about him.

The story of Hachiko deeply touched Helen Keller when she came to visit Japan in July of 1937 to lecture on deaf and blindness. After hearing about Hachiko, Helen expressed her desire for the same kind of breed dog. When hearing this, breeder Mr. Ichiro Ogasawara had an Akita-ken breed dog delivered to her in the U.S. Unfortunately, however, it did not survive the journey.

In July of 1939, Mr. Ogasawara sent her another dog and this one did survive the journey. When Helen Keller returned to Japan after the war she once again expressed her admiration of Hachiko and her thanks to Mr. Ogasawara and the dog he sent her, which to her had meanings of world peace.

I am very impressed to see that this loyal dog, Hachiko and his sad but remarkable story, intersects with the life of one of the greatest persons respected in the handicapped world who overcame large obstacles to be a success and model for millions. I also am happy to see that Hachiko also has a link across the Pacific to America, Japan`s one time enemy. Thank you, Helen. And well done, Hachiko, for touching her heart.

I am sure you will both continue to move others with your stories of loyalty and courage.

that story is far too sad... 😭 made me teary-eyed and everything :(

I know he was only a dog but doesn't it make you wonder if he was ever sad? it makes me sad thinking of how sad he must have been :( :sniffle:

Back
Top Bottom