What's new

Travel to Japan from Australia

Cameron

後輩
14 Jul 2004
Hi All,

I'd like to make a week long trip to Japan, but not being a seasoned traveller I'd really appreciate some advice on making the most of it.

I will be taking my partner along, and would like to spend some time in Tokyo, visiting the tourist traps and maybe Disneyland (you're never too old for that stuff, right? 👍 ).

It would be great to get out to some more rural areas and see some temples and a bit of history also. Can this all be done in seven days?

If we stay in Tokyo, how much of the country could be seen from there? Would it be better to stay in smaller hotels in various regions than try and keep a "home base" in Tokyo? Are there better, more central spots to plan a trip from?

Any advice from people that have made these kind of trips would be wonderful. Thank you all in advance, and I look forward to reading about others experiences.

Cheerio
-Cameron

Hi Cameron, well when i dint want go to japan, for rural things, i went there for WC 2002 so i cant help you too much :D Your ony staying in japan for seven days ? you defo staying in tokyo ?
Well for history Kyoto is the place to be, you coud stay there ? Nara also is a great place for history, it has a statue of buddha there very good. They are many shrines including the Horyu-ji shrine. Miyajima has some great gardens, also Beppu has many great scenic places.
Tokyo certainly isnt the place, however in tokyo they are some great gardens, very beutiful, even i managed to go too between soccer matches :D
Koishikawa Korakuen in tokyo is very nice. Parks and Gardens list of all the green in tokyo :DBut of course all this is alot of travelling about. However kyoto and Nara are near you could stay there and then go to tokyo ? or vise verser ?? They is so much to see that would take more than seven days, but the seven days will be awesome ! If you dont want to do too much travelling and you want rural i'd go for kyoto or nara but its up too. If you want to travel abit, you could use a japan rail pass.
http://www.insidejapantours.com/JRpass.shtml, however its expensive !!
There are many guides that could help you alot, like the guide on here, japan-guide.com and lonely planet.
Im sure you know what you doing for your hotel but i always recommend this www.coo.ne.jp/english/ , hoever the website seems to have probs at moment

Anyways m8 hope i helpy ya abit, and find what your looking for

Thanks very much Arch,
We're selling one car, so that'll take care of the tickets pretty quickly, thinking we might have to stretch it out to two weeks (10 days at a minimum) to make the most of it.

I'll check out the sites you posted and do some more "homework".

Thanks again buddy.
-Cameron

Back
Top Bottom