What's new

Train Travel Questions

ProjectSW

後輩
27 Jun 2007
Hello everyone,

I have three questions:

1. Can the JR East Pass be bought only if you are staying in Japan as a temporary visitor for 15-90 days? I am staying in Japan for 12 days.

2. Does the Japan Rail Pass hold the same conditions?

3. Does the Japanese Subway system belong to the JR Company?

For your information, the closest station to my hotel is Shirokane-takanawa.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
James

Doesn't matter the length of your stay. Buy the pass suited for your travel. 7, 14, 21 day I think. When I'm there it's on an official passport (not tourist) so I'm not eligible for the rail pass. I did go last year as a tourist and got the 7 day. Was in Japan for 9 or 10 days. Subways are not part of the pass.

The Yamanote, Chuo and Joban Lines are JR in Tokyo, so the pass would be usable for them. You're on your own with the subways, though.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Would the JR East Pass include the Limited Express Narita Express as well?

I just got back from Tokyo and had the JR rail pass, It was a huge help and saved me lots of money.

Depending on where you are staying and where you want to go, the overland lines operated by JR (included in the rail pass) may be all you need. I found that with a bit of planning I could avoid using the subway unless I had heavy luggage to carry.

One other thing, you will need to reserve your seat on the Narita Express as there are no unreserved carridges. It's 'free' to reserve with the rail pass as with other JR trains.

Read the sticky rail travel post for more info and links

Hi everyone,

I just got back from Japan yesterday, and I thank you for all your help given in this post!

Back
Top Bottom