What's new

Toyota Tundra or Hilux?

okinawaholic

Sempai
Donor
19 Aug 2019
I'm contemplating a new truck, but I'd prefer full sized.

I know I can get the best of the best with a Hilux TRD, but I've also seen about 5 Tundra trucks over the decade here as they're clearly distinguishable by their size.

I didn't pay much attention to plates to see which prefecture they were registered in (I'd like to also know if they're 300 or something else [ex, 100] that could throw it into a higher tax bracket), but I'm fairly certain that you can't import anything you'd like, on your own dime, and Y-plate it as SOFA status/military.

I went to a Toyota chain dealership here after seeing one parked out front before it abruptly left on a pickup and they had no clue; it was only in for servicing.

Do any dealerships in Mainland sell the Tundra?

Thanks!

Sorry, cannot be of help, Honda family here. I have never seen such pick-up trucks here "on the mainland"! I guess they would be popular among the Shonan surfer crowds (though they prefer US models), but to sophisticated Tokyoites, they probably shout "bragging inaka-mono". 😆

Boo! (n)
Honda family here
But thanks!

I'm also trying to find out about plates and taxes, especially why I pay less on a new 2020 300-plate than I did on an older (15+ year) 500 plate. That conversation can be found here so the Tundra truck discussion can go on (though, I should split it into 2 topics—Tesla and plates as both are confusing).

I've seen the Tundra on the roads though. I'm fairly certain the ones I noticed weren't Y-plates or (U.S.) GOV plates as the latter would generally drive Ford or Chevy pickups if they were and you can't PCS just anything in. Wondering if it's importable under some list of approved vehicles, much like the US has a published list of vehicles that can be imported without meeting the 25-year rule, or what.

I'll have to actually stalk someone next time if I don't figure it out.

I've also seen a Ford Raptor here that is a kanji plate but, even though it's a hell of a fun truck to drive (I got the occasion to drive it plenty of times while I sold cars over here to military members, and boy, oh boy, can it hop over curbs like they're not even speed bumps), it doesn't pique my interest in ownership like a Tundra would because I imagine anyone with Toyota knowledge could still fix it... and there are more of them here than Ford people.

The Tundra is made in Texas. Get a made-in-Japan vehicle if you can.
I'm aware of this, but the reality is that there are Tundra trucks on the road in Japan.

Is there a list of approved vehicles for import? If so, do you need to pay higher taxes on imports? Etc.

So much to be questioned here, as to why I will be on a stakeout to find an owner the next time I see one in a parking lot to get down to the nitty-gritty on how they got a Tundra here.

I'm aware of this, but the reality is that there are Tundra trucks on the road in Japan.

Is there a list of approved vehicles for import? If so, do you need to pay higher taxes on imports? Etc.

So much to be questioned here, as to why I will be on a stakeout to find an owner the next time I see one in a parking lot to get down to the nitty-gritty on how they got a Tundra here.
You don't think it was imported by U.S. military?

Anyway you shouldn't have to do a stakeout. Call a local dealer/importer and find out what they can do and what it costs.

You don't think it was imported by U.S. military?
No, because they would be plated as Y or E plate as an import if it was imported by the U.S. military for personnel and a government plate that shows the branch of service and a 'serial number' if it belongs to an agency such as the Department of Navy with a plate number of 300374. Also, it can't be an OV plate because those look like plastic plates that stick out like a sore thumb and are only used to go from base to base, not visit obscure places in Okinawa.

I didn't have glasses at the time so I cannot confirm or deny it wasn't a rental, but I'm 90% sure they were all kanji and for whatever reason, 100-plates (which I hope is lower or equal in taxes to a 300-plate).
Anyway you shouldn't have to do a stakeout. Call a local dealer/importer and find out what they can do and what it costs.
I've been to three local dealerships here of different 'franchises'. None of them sell or order a Tundra... so how did they get here?

My best guess is that there are dealerships in Mainland, such as there are for Tesla which is lacking here, that can order them or sell them showroom ready with ~10km on the ODO for the next years model ready to take its spot in the window to be paid in full and loaded onto a ferry to take a 4-day journey to Okinawa.

...thus, to be accurate here, unless anyone has any information regarding the Tundra phenomenon, I'm going to drop all plans tor a day and follow the owner to see how they got it here (the culture is much nicer and they would be happy to share that information).

Only one in Okinawa for sale currently that I could find:

And 168 nationwide:

And 168 nationwide:
Awesome.

So they are here. It's just limited to those? With so many on the road, I would think there's a dealership that you could custom order a 2021 from and get it delivered here.

This would be my type, but I think it's over the 5-year mark so taxes would increase (or it increases on the 2nd owner? I'm unsure about how taxes work with new vs. used...)

Looks like I'm looking around $60,000 new though, which if taxes remained low for the first 10-years (I pay less on my 2020 300-plate [$275] than I did on a used 500-plate [just shy of $500] and don't know if it's five or ten years until the increase to "regular" pricing), it's not unreasonable. It definitely can have more opportunity to make money from as everyone and their mother seems to need to borrow time and a larger than Kei truck for a day here (not renting, but to move) which could make up 1/2 my monthly payment alone.

It's definitely got more use than the V10 Audi R8 I'm eyeing 👀 (Ok, I lied, I could probably only get away with a gently used and older V8 model :(... if my wife didn't kill me for buying it 😄).

I'd expect to tow a small boat (20'~) that could make $150+ for 4 hours a day and a jetski ($20 per 15-minutes) trailer and I'm unsure of the towing capacity that a Hilux has in that regard. If a Hilux could tow the boat... I'd probably go with that to save in order to get a nicer boat as I'd probably be on the water more than I would in the truck. But definitely want it new because of the powertrain warranty with towing that weight often...

Ok, so I stalked one down today and found out that they bought theirs used from an auction in Mainland. It was also a 100 plate which according to Wikipedia is reserved for trucks with a displacement larger than 2000cc. So how much is owed for yearly taxes on it over a Hilux that's, I believe, a 300 plate?

That said, it begs the question... how did the original owner get it here? 🤔

I'd expect to tow a small boat (20'~) that could make $150+ for 4 hours a day and a jetski ($20 per 15-minutes) trailer and I'm unsure of the towing capacity that a Hilux has in that regard. If a Hilux could tow the boat... I'd probably go with that to save in order to get a nicer boat as I'd probably be on the water more than I would in the truck. But definitely want it new because of the powertrain warranty with towing that weight often...
If you're thinking of running a business, shouldn't you be asking (e.g.) Toyota about this, or a forum that has towing jetskis/boats as its focus?

Same for taxes on one or the other--there's a municipal office for that (that you'd be paying to anyway), besides some more creative googling. And you haven't even touched insurance coverage (private, not the worthless mandatory type).

And then for a business--are you forming a company (truck/boat purchases, filing taxes, depreciation, etc), getting liability insurance for your jetski/boating biz...? Or will this be a cash only thing, buyer beware?

What might happen if a jetskier/boater that has rented from you is injured?

I don't intend on boating or using jetskis as a business, rather a retirement hobby for the most part and to meet temporary guests/tourists.

As you need a special license for both boating and jetskis, I would essentially be the captain of the boat (chartered for fishing in which I can get my dinner in or customers leaving their entire haul behind [in some instances, 100s of pounds as some people do it for sport and have limits on what they can store which I would donate what I couldn't consume]) and driver of the jetski (undercutting public beaches that rent for 5000 yen for 3000).

The revenue made would be considered "low income" when declared, but it'd at least cover mooring/port fees and gas for personal getaways.

I just came across a bit of money after winning a suit which can afford all this (or invest it another way to reinvest dividends to have a kush future in my 50s/60s+).

In the case on an injury, they waive all rights with proof of insurance—so sue me and get nothing.

But back to the Tundra/Hilux discussion: I need a truck that won't blow a piston in a couple years if I tow the boat from one side of the island to the other as I could drive it in a straight line at 50kmph while I'd triple the distance going around the island on a boat and at a much lower speed.

A HiAce could definitely tow a jetski, but unsure on the boat. I like the HiAce myself because unlike anything, they retain major value and don't seem to depreciate as much as anything with older models (25 year) selling for $7000 and newer for ~$15000 with 100,000+ km on the odometer.

The first video shows a smaller boat that I'm looking at (a larger outdoor platform for fishing with an indoor cabin bedroom/bathroom/shower/kitchen).

I will have to do more research with the towing capacity of the Hilux and Tacoma to see if it can haul weight without running down as quick.

I also want a truck because I'm going to build conceptual container homes (20') that can be made for $10000 and I can sell for a profit to low income earners still. So, a truck for custom materials as I wouldn't want to get a HiAce cabin dirty.

Also, the FJ is ugly (no offense if you happen to own one).

Oh, and the Hilux is a 300 plate while the Tundra is a 100 plate.

If taxes are cheaper on a 100 (as I've yet to learn plate tax rates and when and if they ever increase on the first time owner if bought new), that would be a selling point too.

Right now, my tax on a 300 plate is around $300 new (2020) while I was paying about $500 on a used 300 plate (2002) and $400 on a used 500 plate (2006) which a 500 plate is cheaper than a 300 (used), yet I'm still paying less than a 500 now on a new 300 2020. I'm confused.

How about one of these: トヨタ ダイナ カーゴ | トヨタ自動車WEBサイト Better for your container homes?
I need a more versatile vehicle as I am a family man for the next 9 years (1 kid left) and don't want more than 1 vehicle as I will be operating my mission at a near-0 profit.

I believe affordable housing is a must and my mission is to make that attainable for all so that they aren't stuck paying $350/mo+~ rent for life.

They can pay $350/mo for a little over 2 years to cover costs, me to profit to invest in other areas of development, and then them decide from there whether they would like to continue to own that land plot (that they could later convert into a cemetery [get rid of the container and put in tomb]) or to lease it for 99 years at a reduced rate.

That would allow me to continually place people in affordable housing.

But a vehicle is somewhat of a big decision because the warranties here aren't 10-years like in the States; they are only 5. If I tow a boat, etc., and a piston is shot in 6 years... I'd be out of commission for a while.

The first video shows a smaller boat that I'm looking at (a larger outdoor platform for fishing with an indoor cabin bedroom/bathroom/shower/kitchen).
Does that boat really have an indoor bedroom/cabin? Do any boats around 20' range have that??
Not sure if it would make sense for your area but you could look at the Yamaha FSH series. It's designed for fishing but has the jet boat power so you could tow tubes and wakeboards as well. I have an AR195. People use them in Florida too so I know they can be used on the ocean.

They can pay $350/mo for a little over 2 years to cover costs, me to profit to invest in other areas of development, and then them decide from there whether they would like to continue to own that land plot (that they could later convert into a cemetery [get rid of the container and put in tomb]) or to lease it for 99 years at a reduced rate.
Does that mean midway in the development you would have homes next to plots that have been converted to grave sites? Aren't there any land use rules? Hard to imagine that is plausible.

But a vehicle is somewhat of a big decision because the warranties here aren't 10-years like in the States; they are only 5. If I tow a boat, etc., and a piston is shot in 6 years... I'd be out of commission for a while.
A Tundra should be a relatively safe bet even if it's American made. Probably you wouldn't be putting that many miles on it compared to well-used trucks in the U.S. I visited TMMTX, the Texas plant where they are made once. It was still pretty new at the time. Cool place.

Do any boats around 20' range have that??
I honestly don't know sizes. I just know they run in the $100,000~ range as it could essentially be a 1LDK home on water.
Yamaha FSH
I'll look into this more as I am in Okinawa. While it's technically not ocean around us and is the East China Sea, it can get rough out there and I need a sturdy vessel.
A Tundra should be a relatively safe bet even if it's American made.
This is what I'm thinking too. I wouldn't put more than 100,000 clicks on it in my 10 years of ownership and it should retain quite a bit of value like the HiAce.

However, it is a 100 plate. If I can't find answers here on taxation, I'll get to the registration office to see how much I'll be paying in road tax on that. If it's too much in comparison to the 300 plate, just get the Hilux and use it to only pull out during typhoons to not cause frequent high stress... and boat around the island as needed.

After doing some research into boats like the one I described, I don't think either the Hilux or Tundra can tow it. It's a 36'-40' boat (Sea Ray SLX 320 or 400, but used as I definitely couldn't afford that new [or would put it into land or a couple of 1LDK mansion rooms to rent out as weekly as they can get 4x the price of rent when booked for a month, rather]).

I'm going to just go ahead and get me the Hilux as it's a well-rounded truck for what I need and be on the lookout for a big boat.

If I can't find any locally... see how much it costs to get here, and if it's even capable of getting here and registering it.

I'll just have to pay the port or somebody with a big truck to pull it out during typhoon season.

Or, I'll just go with something like the Yamaha FSH as suggested by @mdchachi because it can be towed and used for making extra money... just not as a get-away unless I bring camping gear with me in case of rain. In that case, probably go with the Tundra.

But, I'm pulling the trigger on it soon as this pandemic is almost over and I want to book out charters during the peak tourist season to have quite a bit of the boat already paid back to me.

Decisions... Decisions... :)

Sounds like a plan. Yeah the big boats are usually wet slipped and are pulled out by the marina or private services around here. Since we can't boat year round we do it yearly.

Sounds like a plan. Yeah the big boats are usually wet slipped and are pulled out by the marina or private services around here. Since we can't boat year round we do it yearly.
My dad had a 20' with a kitchen and bed so I was sure there was one... but the missing link is the bathroom so that I can even have 8+ hour charters. The bigger provide showers (private in the cabin and on the deck) which is also perfect for long distance scuba travel too.

Hilux it is so save money for a larger boat and upgrade once it's made its money back.

Back
Top Bottom