What's new

Total eclipse of the moon

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
Total eclipse of the moon
There has not been an eclipse of the moon as good as this one from start to finish since July 16, 2000, according to the Japan National Observatory. On December 10, starting from about 9:45 p.m. the moon will slowly enter a full eclipse, reaching a total eclipse by around 11:05 p.m., and slowly ending at about 1:10 a.m. on Dec. 11. A lunar eclipse lasts for several hours due to the large size of the Earth relative to the moon. A solar eclipse only lasts a few minutes at any given place, due to the smaller size of the moon's shadow blocking the sun when seen from the Earth. Unlike a solar eclipse, which can only be seen in limited parts of the earth, a lunar eclipse can be seen from the entire side of the earth facing the moon.

source

You can see it now if you are in Japan (not sure about other countries). I have never seen it before so I am pretty excited about it (watching it with our telescope).

A little cloudy here, but we can see it pretty well from our balcony. Can you connect a camera to your telescope, Davey?

That's the best I can do with my Canon G12 digicam, lol...

lunar_eclipse_121011.jpg

Unfortunately for me, I first learned of the eclipse on the way home from a 忘年会 last night and saw only the very beginning of it. It was cold outside, I was about half drunk, and I hadn't had a chance to lie down for the last six straight days, so without a moment's hesitation I chose coming inside and going to bed over the eclipse.

Too cloudy up here to see much clearly, but we got to see the start of it. At that time my kid was fairly excited, but he lost interest because of Bem, Bela, and Belo on TV, then went to bed. I showed him your pics here, and he just said a curt "oh". Gotta be there, I guess. We saw it a few years ago, too, but he was too young to appreciate it even that much!

The beginning was pretty nice but when it turned reddish I wasn't that excited anymore, but maybe that's because it was freaking cold outside.

Back
Top Bottom