What's new

tofu question

leanbean

後輩
1 Nov 2004
here i go again in my quest concerning fermented foods...IS tofu fermented? i have someone who swears to me that it isn't, but i was so sure it is...any clarifications here? :? thank you, thank you.

Actually, tofu is not farmented, it's more like coagulated soy milk until it forms curds, just like cheese.

It is safe for you to eat.

It may be safe to eat, but that doesn't mean it tastes good! I had it once, it was like eating foam rubber! YECH! Styrofoam has more taste than tofu! BLECH!

:eek:

In the swedish army we have a standard issue lipbalm, and the rumour is you can eat it if you're ever in deep trouble and have no food. (apparently it contains some stuff that's good for you)

Thing is, everyone *knows* it, but noone has tried it..

So one night I hadn't slept in 2 days and I was on guard seeing double with a mate...
and I start thinking "I wonder if it's true.." while applying my lipbalm to my battered foot (it's not really *just* lipbalm. It's some sort of skincare product for messed up skin in the shape and feel of lipbalm- You usually break off a piece and apply it to your skin so you can use the stick on your mouth again later.).

So I take a great big bite out of the stuff, chew it and swallow.
now, like tofu, it's perfectly safe to eat, I didn't suffer a bit from it... but the taste was vile.. it had the taste and feel of a wax candle.

Lots of things are safe to eat... many things that I wouldn't even want to sniff are safe to eat. :p

TwistedMac said:
In the swedish army we have a standard issue lipbalm, and the rumour is you can eat it if you're ever in deep trouble and have no food. (apparently it contains some stuff that's good for you)

I'm trying to envision taking a bite out of Chap-Stick! (pauses to gag!) No thanks, friend! I think I'd rather take my chances with tofu!!!

:D

nothing wrong with tofu - it's healthy for you and doesn't have bad taste at all. the texture is questionable but you get used to it after a few mouthfuls.

thanks, everyone...i actually *love* tofu (it's much, much better than, say, lip balm...) it's just that lately i've been unable to eat anything fermented and i've heard people say that it is and others say it isn't.

I don't know, I mean tofu is healthy and good to eat, I like eating firm tofu, I don't think that it is going to kill your dad since he eats alot of it. ^_^.

Back
Top Bottom