What's new

To Japan, for a year, for the heck of it?

danholo

n00b!
1 Apr 2007
Hiya, guys! I just joined this forum to acquire some info on going to Japan - for a year! I'd really like to do some combination of learning the language and doing some work. I don't have an education but I'd like to do some "crap work" just to get some pocket money; I would gather up funds before going there.

I'd also like to go to some rural town or not some place that is so big. Of course, as I've heard, it's extremely difficult to get by over there without knowing the language that well but I know a little Japanese and would like to study a bit more of it before going.

I would really just like to go away from Finland for a year and I could go almost anywhere like the States or Israel but Japan is just such a foreign place to me and I've been interested in it since I was a little kid that I would really like to "experience" the culture in order to learn something different. I want to get away where I can't find anybody I know!

Is my proposal at all feasible? Would I get a "working visa" just to do some crap jobs...? Where I come from there are no "holiday working visa" which I found out about.

Or maybe I should try for student visa but a student isn't allowed to work? What are the work hours like? 11-hour days?!
Thanks in advance.

edit: Oh yeah, this is not an April fools joke! :)

Wellcome here ^^
I don't have experience about working in Japan, but I'm applying for a pre-college student visa right now, and I know that you can work 20 hours weekly on this visa.
I doubt you'll get a working-visa just to do some "crap work", you should go for a student visa or something like that.

Unlike Europe, you can't just go to Japan to bum around for a year on a whim... they take immigration a little more seriously... You'll need at least a bachelors or equivalent degree to do work--- or baring that, you'll need to be skilled & fluent to do some form of work there which could not be filled by a Japanese person...

Since you are from Finland, even the most fantastical idea that you could have some sort of human trafficking agency sneak you into the country to work illegally (which is incredibly stupid regardless) is out of the question--- since no matter what you'll undoubtedly stick out like a sore thumb.

If you have the cash, save up and go to school there... With no education and little Japanese proficiency, you won't just be able to show up and do "crap work" for a year.

From what I know of the Finnish education system, it'd be pretty foolish to go spend money on an education elsewhere...

If you want to spend a year here, your main concerns at this point should be your visa and your income, as they will likely be inexorably tied together. Companies will not sponsor visas for crap jobs. You might find an english school willing to sponsor you, but most of them require a degree. You could always come bum around for a few months on a tourist visa, but you will not be allowed to work under that.

So, what is the most realistic way to go to Japan for a young guy like me? Through some sort of language study program? The fact that it's so difficult to get there makes it even more intriguing!

I'm applying and studying to get into university here so maybe after a year of study I could go on some sort of study program over there? Of course... Might depend on what one studies?

I'm applying and studying to get into university here so maybe after a year of study I could go on some sort of study program over there? Of course... Might depend on what one studies?
You should ask you dean or someone responsible for this at your university!! I'm sure there is some sort of program. We in Holland have several of these programs to go to Japan for a year, regardless what one studies.

Good luck!! 👍

Student visa and cultural visa seem the only way you are going to get here for a year. Neither visa permits work, but you can easily enough get special permission to do that, although the hours are only going to be part-time. Problem is, what do you think you are qualified to do, even in "crap jobs", with no Japanese language proficiency?
Go here to read about visas.
VISA
Immigration Services Agency of Japan

Want a general idea of what sort of work is out there? Go here.
www.jobsinjapan.com

Hi danholo,

If your main focus is learning Japanese then a language school might be best. I think you can work up to 20 hours each week while studying (on a student visa)--but first you`ll need permission from the immigration authorities to engage in an activity that falls outside the purview of your original visa. And to obtain this permission you`ll need to find an employer to prepare the proper paperwork on your behalf.

You could also try working on a farm in rural Japan--try the WWOOF website, which has lots of listings. I don`t think anyone can/will sponsor a working visa if you`re coming to do farm work, but since you probably won`t be earning any income (just room and board, as far as I can tell), then a nintey-day tourist visa would seem to suffice. Caveat: I`ve never participated in WWOOF, so I can`t vouch for it. Have often thought of giving it a try, though...

Good luck!

So, what is the most realistic way to go to Japan for a young guy like me? Through some sort of language study program? The fact that it's so difficult to get there makes it even more intriguing!

I would STRONGLY adivise you to read a book about Japan and learn about Japan before even considering moving or living there.

Back
Top Bottom