What's new

The use of particle-に and particle-へ

Trojan1313

先輩
9 Aug 2004
Can I always use へ and に when I describe "the goal towards which things move", or are there places where I only can use one of them?

I know that they both have other meanings, but what's the difference when describing "the goal towards which things move"?

Not familiar with へ but I am pretty sure you can use に when speaking of an action which not performed on the subject.......hmm

私は日本に行きます。 (I will go to Japan.

then there is ni as in doing something for another person.

私は私の母にやきそばを買いました。 (I bought yakisoba for my mother.)

I think this is somewhat correct but i am sure i screwed up something somewhere. :p

へ is technically the right particle to use when showing movement (towards) a direction.

日本へ行く
そちらへ向かう

帰る is one of those words where you use に.
家に帰る.

Also, most speakers use に with verbs of placement. So you would say 鉛筆を口に入れるな and ケーキをあそこに置いてくれ.

ni or e | Japan Forum

The above is a past thread on this same question, but I think the
basic distinction becomes pretty clear in simple sentences such as these.
Someone please correct me if anything is off-sounding, but basically "ni" is related more to the activity itself and either "he" or "ni" to the destination point or place you're moving towards.

クリスマスプレセントを買いに買い物へ出かけました。 (Went out to go shopping for Christmas presents)

彼女を迎えに東京駅へ行きました。(Went to Tokyo station to meet her).

ハイキングをしに森へ行きました。(Went to the woods to go hiking).

hmmm... told ya i was wrong >_< but my japanese friend tried explaining to me that it is easier just to use に when the verb is not being performed on the subject. bah むずかしい むずかしい

Back
Top Bottom