What's new

The Obligatory Climbing Mt. Fuji Thread!

24 Aug 2003
So.. who's done it?

I lived in Shizuoka about 4 years and climbed Fuji 6 times.

Funny thing, EVERY time I came down I told myself: "Never again!!" Haha. :)

The first time I started climbing about 11 P.M.
I'd heard varying stories about how long it took to get to the top, so I (with a friend) practically ran up- we didn't want to miss the sunrise!

Got to the top in about 3 hours and FROZE(!!!), huddled outside the building at the top (which was OPEN, we found out later!) until the sunrise (sort of) came up (too cloudy).

Climbed twice in the POURING rain (I had memories of "Titanic"- at the end when all the people are freezing in the water!). You DON'T know cold until you're drenched, standing in the pouring rain at midnight near the top of Mt. Fuji!!!

One occasion I stayed (briefly) at the hut at the..... 7th(?) level. 5,000 yen I think it cost me. Got me a smelly futon in a dusty corner and a couple (maybe) hours sleep.

One time I climbed during the day from the Gotemba side and came down the subashiri (LOTS of little stones in my shoes!).

I'm yet to see a decent sunrise/sunset, so I'm sure I'll be heading up the "hill" again July/August 2004............

..You?

Dang, gotta give you credit for your perserverance!

I "only" climbed it twice. First time was typical night climb, very crowded. Was just below the peak when the sun came up but I don't think it made a significant difference to our view which was very pretty. A little hard to appreciate when you've just climbed a mountain in the middle of the night and your body would rather be sleeping. Had hot soba at the top which really hit the spot. We descended via the rock slide which I thought was kind of fun. You could bound down the mountain taking huge steps and pretend you were on mars or something.

The second time, we climbed the first week of September, right after the official climbing season ended. I liked this better because we didn't have to interrupt our circadian cycle to climb the mountain and there weren't that many other people on the mountain (huts were all closed). More of a "real" mountain climbing experience. More dangerous, though.

Originally posted by mdchachi
Had hot soba at the top which really hit the spot.

Haha, what did that cost you? 1,000 yen? :) Don't worry- I too paid big-yen for my soba! :)

We descended via the rock slide which I thought was kind of fun. You could bound down the mountain taking huge steps and pretend you were on mars or something.

Did you have to stop every now and then and empty your shoes of the rocks/sand? I did..................

The second time, we climbed the first week of September, right after the official climbing season ended.

Yes, I agree. I like to climb early, end of July. I've only climbed once during full-on climbing season. My long gaijin legs suffered! :)

Originally posted by Ninja Rock Star
Haha, what did that cost you? 1,000 yen? :) Don't worry- I too paid big-yen for my soba! :)

It was a bargain at the time. ;)

Did you have to stop every now and then and empty your shoes of the rocks/sand? I did..................

I don't recall having a big problem with that. I would have been wearing high-top hiking shoes and inner & outer socks so there were no large gaps. I do seem to recall having filthy socks & sandy feet afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom