What's new

The last samurai...

*sigh* I did not "attack" your initial post. You posted replies from another board (and one which you probably belong to) quoting excerpts from other people, many of whom have not even taken the time to see the film before casting their own judgment. Have you even seen the film yourself? Show me where I demeaned you at any point in my original reply aside from stating that such a thread was silly.
:)

I still don't understand what point it is you are trying to get across here, hamstar. You (and the people quoted on that other thread) imply that the Last Samurai is a racist film because the main star is a white guy. Yet none of you has even seen the movie, so basically the sum of your argument is that any film that stars a white guy is inherintly racist for that reason alone, regardless of the film's content. That makes no sense to me.

You then say that Hollywood doesn't make any movies with Asian stars. You dismiss all of the examples of Asian stars in movies (Last emporer, the King and I, a million and one Jackie Chan films) because you don't care for the genre. Never mind the fact that the King and I and the Last Emporer are both Epic historical movies just like the Last Samurai. It makes no sense to me. What do you want? More Asian comedians? That is about the only genre I can think of where there aren't Asian stars making it big, though I may be mistaken.

And let's not forget recent films like "Better Luck Tomorrow" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" for the critical acclaim they have received. Both have contributed greatly to Hollywood's awareness and appreciation of Asian cultures as well as mainstream America in general.

let me just say that im not a "real" member of yellow org.

I'm a member of another forum that i care not to discuss.

Looks like I was right about you... So, are you gonna actually address any of the issues that have been brought up like a rational normal person or just continue to type in caps, sling insults, and generally be demeaning without actually saying anything of substance? Funny how you got all bent out of shape by my initial remarks yet now you have nothing to say that even remotely resembles content...

Still not addressing any of the "issues" I see... Defending your position against my own can't surely be that Herculean a task can it? Or are you all sound and fury, signifying nothing... Considering the fact that you won't even respond to my simple question of have you even seen the film you are so harshly judging, I am guessing I already know the answer.

And let's not forget recent films like "Better Luck Tomorrow" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" for the critical acclaim they have received. Both have contributed greatly to Hollywood's awareness and appreciation of Asian cultures as well as mainstream America in general.

Is this your point that you want me to reply to?

ok ill bite:

Crouching tiger: Nothing but another meaningless kung fu movie perpetuating the stereotype. I think for Americans to view Asians as NORMAL people they have to be put in normal movies where characters have 3-dimentional traits to them, not robots who perform idiotic stunts.

Better luck tomorrow: This is the only current American movie to date with an all asian cast. interestingly, this low-budget movie was done by a asian movie director out of the frustration that asian americans do not get any major roles in movies. I actually watched this and it sucked very badly. I guess it was a baby step toward the right direction...I think?

So... are you merely advocating that Hollywood should employ more Asians in general in less far-fetched roles on a consistent and regular basis? If so, then I agree with you although how your perception of The Last Samurai is detrimental to this is beyond me. As I have already stated, with a few notable exceptions the entire cast is predominantly Japanese. There are hardly any superhuman heroics in the film requiring wirework or expensive special effects. And even though it is fictional, the film does try to stay true to the historical period of the time without too much in the way of embellishment. People live and die by the sword (as well as by gunfire). What exactly is your argument against the film (as has already been asked)?

Its worth mentioning that very few hollywood movies feature "normal" people in them, regardless of their race. Tom Cruise's character in the Last Samurai certainly isn't normal. Niether are most characters in action, sci-fi, suspense, comedy, horror, romance or most other genres. I suppose you mean you want more asians to star in human drama's and that sort of thing? It is worth asking if by "asians" you mean Asian-Americans or people actually living in Asia?

I think its mostly a question of marketability. A movie about normal Japanese people living in Japan would appeal to very few Americans because very few could relate to it. A film about normal Asian people living in the west (like the Indian family in 'Bend it like Beckham') would probably be a lot more popular, and I agree that it would be nice to see more movies like that made.

Still, this issue really has absolutely nothing to do with the Last Samurai whatsoever.

No reply forthcoming? Hmm... hopefully that means you're sitting in the theater right now actually watching the film instead of just the trailers... Come back when you have something more to say.

last samurai

Hi all,

I havn't seen the film yet but I'd like to, the trailor looked good but as always hollywood does glamourise things. If they didn't, i guess the film would be quite boring.

Maybe there aren't too many asian leads in hollywood films because of the language barrier? English is a very hard language, people i know who are English can't even speak it properly ;o)

Seriously though, hollywood always seems to bend and break history when it comes to movies, maybe we shouldn't take them all so seriously. Mel Gibson seems to be associated with a lot of films where the facts just aren't there. Braveheart was about 30% inaccurate apparently and 'The Patriot' wasn't exactly accurate either. I read a while back where kids in England actually though Mel Gibson was Braveheart!!!!

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

By for now!!!

Q U I T C R Y I N G & B O O H O O I N G

Asian Americans are a minority just like latin americans, native americans, african americans and every other person in america that isnt white. maybe there arent allot of asian actors in hollywood, big f'ing woop there arent allot of american indian actors mexican actors WHATEVER no complaining bs on some forum about the world being racist is goign to change anything

I wasn't making an issue of there not being many asian actors in hollywood (or at least not trying to) I was just saying why I thought there wasn'y that many. If there were more that would be great. Your preaching to the quior on the subject of racism.

I remember seeing the first films jackie chan did in hollywood and how low budget they were, but every actor starts somewhere. Maybe more opportunities need to be created for actors to come through,

What a hoo-ha!

Personally I think the Samuri where depicted as having far higher moral standards than the Americans. Very enjoyable film. The only negative comment would be the effects. In the battle cry, the Samuri Lord cries out, then the captain cries out noticeably louder. The samuri Lord takes out his sword with a 'shringg', the the captain does same, and you guessed it, his 'shringg' is twice as loud. This seems to be the one thing that the makers have left to make the white man feel ok about himself. Let's be honest, in this film the Japanese are way ahead of the westerners in all other regards.

Tom cruise made me sceptical before seeing this film, but having seen it, I loved it. Cruise did it justice, the respect for Japanese culture seems to have been maintained, and the love interest was probably the most refreshing of recent years. Wandering looks and the untold feelings bringing maybe some reality to hollywood sex for a change.

Going to see it again on the w/e

Originally posted by kinskai
I wasn't making an issue of there not being many asian actors in hollywood (or at least not trying to) I was just saying why I thought there wasn'y that many. If there were more that would be great. Your preaching to the quior on the subject of racism.

I remember seeing the first films jackie chan did in hollywood and how low budget they were, but every actor starts somewhere. Maybe more opportunities need to be created for actors to come through,

my post was directed towards the author of the topic not you, sorry

Originally posted by hamstar
I dont think you can compare hollywood to Japanese filmmaking. The Japanese don't even really make films that often.. Im saying that they are small compared to hollywood.

Uh, do you have any clue what you're talking about? What's your basis for saying this?

hey people
Listen to what the 2 sharks in finding nemo had to say."Humans,think they own everything!" "Probably American?!" hehe even the sharks know this!!

I thought the Last Samurai was a really good film. i hate films were Tom Cruise is in it, but this one's an exeption. I didnt see anything bad about the movie exept that Tom Cruise tried to look sexy even when he got hurt ,how does he do that?Hollywood magic!! O__O

tom cruise plays in "the hero", too. now he learns at a writing school.
how do you feel if the emperor would offer *you* these things?
(you need to see "the hero" to answer the question)

soon, hulk gets into cinema. t c up for it? (plays in colorado, america)

Back
Top Bottom