What's new

Teaching English in japan as a foreigner

Zypher

後輩
13 Sep 2011
Konichiwa!
My name is Abduallah and i am from saudi arabia, naturally my native language is arabic, but i also have mastered english although not
completly.
My dream is to get a doctor degree in English and become a teacher.
I would like to ask, is it worth it to teach in a university:school as an english teacher/doctor? i would like to teach in a foreign language and one that i like alot.
Also how do i qualify? do i get tested at certain exam?
Would like answers if you kindly please, and thanks for reading.

Come to the ESL Cafe's Japan discussion forum. Read their FAQ stickies. Ask your questions there.

It will not be easy for someone of your nationality.

Konichiwa!
My name is Abduallah and i am from saudi arabia, naturally my native language is arabic, but i also have mastered english although not
completly.
My dream is to get a doctor degree in English and become a teacher.
I would like to ask, is it worth it to teach in a university:school as an english teacher/doctor? i would like to teach in a foreign language and one that i like alot.
Also how do i qualify? do i get tested at certain exam?
Would like answers if you kindly please, and thanks for reading.[/QUOTE

I think it depends if you get your degree from a good accredited university or not. It really comes down to where you get your degree, and to what level you pursue it. If you get a doctorate in English from a good accredited university, most certainly you could teach English anywhere in the world, even in a Canadian university such as UBC or other western English speaking countries, let alone having to teach English in an asian country such as Japan.

I did a brief stint teaching part-time at a private company; they required their teachers to be native English speakers, but in my training group there were people from Malaysia, France, Germany and Nepal. To my knowledge, no one washed out of training, and even the French guy with an impossibly thick accent was offered a position.

You don't need a Masters or PhD to teach, although it helps. Heck, you don't even need a college degree for many of these positions (although it is a requirement for visa eligibility). If you really want, when you feel like you're about ready to start teaching, take a TEFL program to get certified (or TESOL if you're planning to teach foreign immigrants in an English-speaking country). The program should go over not only the entirety of English grammar structures, but strategies for teaching as well. Being certified makes you look much better to potential employers, and when I got my certs my pay was increased (part of my contract).

He hasn't been back since thirty minutes after his initial post.

I did a brief stint teaching part-time at a private company; they required their teachers to be native English speakers, but in my training group there were people from Malaysia, France, Germany and Nepal.
Name of company?

You don't need a Masters or PhD to teach, although it helps.
Depends on the job.

Heck, you don't even need a college degree for many of these positions (although it is a requirement for visa eligibility).
There are many ways to work legally without a degree.
1. Working holiday visa.
2. Dependent visa.
3. Student visa.
4. Intracompany transfer visa.
5. Spouse visa.
6. PR
7. Cultural activities visa.

Even a work visa can be had if you have 3 or more years of experience, so don't say a degree is needed for a visa. It's not always true.

Depending on the job/visa, his nationality is going to work against him in getting a visa. Non-native English speakers usually need 12-13 years of their entire education given to them entirely in English.

I stand corrected.

I was working part time for GABA under a student visa (with the special permission stamp, which was a pain in the *** to obtain). Everyone who worked at my branch spoke very good English, even the ones who were not native speakers. But that French accent from training still echoes in my mind.

You know, I was actually going to guess GABA!

They are notorious for hiring NON-native English speakers, so I don't know how it is that you feel they require native English speakers.

Back
Top Bottom