What's new

Spring Time in Japan

Good Karma

Registered
3 Apr 2014
ok guys i know this is roughly what everyone has talked about in these forums so i will try to be as specific i can then ask for your opinions on what you like doing. first off i want to see the country side. while I'm there i would like to do some nature hikes. preferably to a spot that is hidden or not known where i can enjoy the site/sites peacefully. "hidden" shrines would be cool if i would be aloud there. but i can only imagine the cool places that you guys may know about. I'm told to stay away from restaurants in an area with a high tourist population. If you agree please let me know what i should look for in a restaurant and where to go if you have a favorite. I will be "operating" out of Tokyo. So if there is a spot far from there i would like to know what else is interesting to do in the area so i can make a day of it. so far I'm going to make a day for running around Ueno (Maybe 2 as i wana see the zoo and park there), Akihabara (Maybe 2 but im not sure what exactly there is to do there). and Kyoto (i am actually going to get a hotel there for the night) I am going to spend a weekend in Ashinoyu. I am spending 14 days in Japan so i need more things to do. i am looking at museums that would peek my interest. If you know of any museums that are about samurai they would be the most interesting. So now if there is a cool/fun/interesting thing that doesn't fall under a category already mentioned please bring it up.

When exactly are you coming? What will be your mode of transport inside Japan? Do you have any degree of Japanese language ability? Will you be alone or with others?

ill be there from the 15th to the 30th not very good at Japanese. i will be taking mostly the train. i have a marine friend that i will spend weekends with.

The 'not very good at Japanese' makes things super difficult. People will try to meet you halfway, but you won't be able to do the same.

For restaurants, to go to a real place vs a tourist place, look for a red lantern, a balloon shaped red thing out front. It signifies a pub of sorts. More than likely the staff will find your attendance delightful, and try to find things you'll like, regardless of your language ability.

For museums, I've never been to a samurai museum, but Ueno has a magnificent museum, with a few buildings. One has a lot of Japanese art from the pre-Meiji era, including some samurai outfits.

In Kyoto, everyone has different tastes, but I love Arashiyama.it's in the west end, and an amazing walk, including the bamboo walkway that is ubiquitous in tourist screenshots, that sounds like a critique, but that walkway is seriously gorgeous and has become the image it is for a reason.

If you want a deeper journey, I suggest a 3-week journey

So you will be here in a week.

Staying in Tokyo and Kyoto doesn't really mean that you need much Japanese. Lots of English in subways and on trains.

Skip Ueno zoo and use the time to see more of Kyoto or Kamakura. I don't know how the cherry blossoms are down there now (I live in Hokkaido), but if they are out you may have to reserve accommodations asap.

Samurai museum in Shinjuku
Shinjuku's Samurai Museum: 800 Years of Evolution | Tokyo Cheapo

14 days is a good duration to enjoy different parts of Japan. How about going to Magome in Gifu. You could go on a hike there. You need to stop over at Nagoya (between Tokyo and Kyoto) to go there though and trains are available.

IG : QuestofJapan

14 days is a good duration to enjoy different parts of Japan. How about going to Magome in Gifu. You could go on a hike there. You need to stop over at Nagoya (between Tokyo and Kyoto) to go there though and trains are available.

IG : QuestofJapan

His stay ended today.

Just what is it you are selling or promoting?

His stay ended today.

Just what is it you are selling or promoting?

He didn't say which month, so I didn't know. Selling???? Promoting Japan? If you are talking about my mention on IG, its a personal IG where theres pictures of Japan and pic of Magome that I mentioned.. Wow, guess my suggestions not needed here.. Thx..

Back
Top Bottom