What's new

Something I would like people to try.

magevampjoe

Sempai
5 Dec 2007
OK, I only really want people who don't know much Japanese to try this.

It is a form of drilling I am trying, with vocab.

Take;
Paper, pen, sellotape (or clear sticky tape).

Now, write on the paper the names of things, such as kettle, in Japanese. Cut it out. Stick it to that object. Now, whenever you use that item, read the japanese.

I currently have one in the following places;
Computer, TV (next to the 'on/off' switch), kettle, microwave, electric and acoustic guitar, amplifier, the 'sugar', 'tea' and 'coffee' jars, on the wooden part of the window, the back of the telephone, my favourite dining chair, my bed, my desk. I'm looking for more things to do it with.

Now, it works similar to flashcards. Every, and I mean, EVERY, time you use the item, point at or touch the item, read the Japanese (if you write kanji put furigana on it).
Then what I want you to do, is in one week from starting this, see if you don't have to read the label and can just say it. If you can, come and reply to this thread. If you can't, just continue for another week.

I have been doing this for two days (no kanji though, just Kana labels) and can already remember almost all of the words. It is really helpful with the vocab. If I could, I would put the labels EVERYWHERE, but my parents wont allow it, (yet... hee hee).

Just try it, it is really helpful to me and may be too for you!

gambatte kudasai!

You could just use post-it notes :)

I have heard this is very useful when you're just starting out with a language, I would use this method but looking around where i'm sitting I know how to say pretty much everything, except for maybe "laundry basket" (dictionary says 洗濯籠). I've never had to use that word before, I'll try and remember it.

Good advice magevampjoe

That's a pretty awesome idea. I'm going to postit the whole flat just now! I wonder how my flat mates would appreciate having ばかさん posted on their doors :oops:

Back
Top Bottom