What's new

Simple reading material

David Hallgren

New comer
2 Mar 2004
Hi everyone. Since the stories in textbooks usually aren't very interesting I've searched the web for simple stories in Japanese. I've found this site:

Japanese Stories

I would like to have more stories like this, not too difficult grammar, not too many kanji and limited vocabulary. 😅 Does anyone here know of such a site?

Thanks in advance!

PS. If someone knows the word for "children's stories" in Japanese, that might help :)

A great many Japanese learners have learned the hard way that "children's story" does not equal "simplified grammar".

Of course, I don't mean that it should be super simple. Approximately the level one should be able handle after 2 semesters (20 weeks each, full time) of University Courses.
I would like it to be slightly below intermediate level. *Hoping*

Stuff like that generally needs to be something specifically created for the adult learner of Japanese as a foreign language.

Children's books written for native speaking Japanese kids don't need to constrain themselves to a limited number of grammatical forms....and consequently, they don't.

Good luck finding stuff, but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

This may be of some help, David. Although even now I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for since the Japanese elementary readers I started (and haven't yet finished) are much longer, more challenging and absorbing than the modified monogatari/hanashibanashi on your page. Plus, these books include grammar/ punctuation reviews, follow up discussion questions, cultural notes, etc. just like any textbook. They are slightly frustrating to get overseas, however, unless you can make out the relevant publisher information....

Japanese Reader ga hitsuyou da | Japan Forum

A Great Site of Japanese Children Stories to Study | Japan Forum

Back
Top Bottom