What's new

Should I learn Mandarin?

Muz1234

Sempai
13 Aug 2014
There are Asian girls in my area who speak Mandarin, but I do like Japanese too. Somehow there is a prejudice feeling when I think about Mandarin. What should I do? Forget Mandarin and just learn Japanese?

Are you in Japan?

Are you thinking of learning Mandarin mostly because you want to meet Chinese girls?

What are your long-range goals in terms of learning a foreign language?

Pick one language and learn it. Do not try to learn two languages at the same time, this is confusing and too difficult (especially because both Japanese and Chinese are extremely difficult).

Some Chinese girls are hot though. My long-term goals are to learn a foreign language, and maybe talk to a person and have a conversation with that foreign language.

Do you speak Chinese?

Well then pick a language that makes the most sense for you. If you are from Malaysia maybe Mandarin is better. A lot more people speak Mandarin than speak Japanese across the world and I'm sure there are more in Malaysia than Japanese people. It would probably be more helpful for your life.

Muzi,

Are you in Japan?

Some Chinese girls are hot though.

So are some Japanese girls. But you need to consider the differences between Japanese and Chinese girls. Chinese girls tend to be more assertive whereas Japanese girls tend to be more reserved. Which do you prefer?

My long-term goals are to learn a foreign language, and maybe talk to a person and have a conversation with that foreign language.

In that case, learning either Japanese or Chinese would work for you. But studying both at the same time is a bad idea. Choose one and stick with it.

Do you speak Chinese?

一点点。(= "a little").

Last edited:
I am not in Japan. Every time I participate in Japanese events or sort in my place, there are always Chinese girls show up around.

Every time I participate in Japanese events or sort in my place, there are always Chinese girls show up around.

This is not about whether you like Chinese or Japanese girls better. This is about whether you like Chinese or Japanese language better. If you find out you do not like Chinese or Japanese language then you are wasting your time. Studying Chinese or Japanese is too difficult if you are doing it mainly to pick up girls. (Learning Chinese characters is a HUGE challenge.)

Study a little bit of Japanese. Then, study a little bit of Chinese. See if you like either one, and see if you like one language better than the other.

頑張って! 加油 !

Back
Top Bottom