What's new

Seeking Searching for any relatives or veterans of WW2 Airfield Construction Units

Big AL

Registered
24 Mar 2020
Particularly those who served in the SW Pacific area including the Philippine Islands.

I am trying to write a family book about my grandfather who served building airfields and runways in WW2. He served on several islands including Leyte, Luzon and possibly Guadalcanal. In his work he operated a truck and a bulldozer.

I thought it would be interesting to compare his experiences in the Army Air Force with a counterpart in the Japanese services which also built airfields or similar work. I am seeking personal or family experiences, military records, photos or whatever you have. I understand only English so it would need to be used in an online translator.

Once again I am searching for experiences of 1941-1945 Japanese Army or Navy Construction Battalions who served in the South-West Pacific region in WW2.

Thank you for reading this and may you have a blessed day,
Alex Isaacs

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, Alex, and good luck in your quest!

I took the liberty of removing your email address from your post, other members will be able to contact you via Private Conversation.

This may not be quite what you are looking for because it is located in Japan and not in the South Pacific, but there was a huge Hitachi airplane manufacturing complex located in the deep suburbs of Tokyo. It was a well-known site, and when American bombers and other planes could fly over Tokyo free from fear of Japanese air defenses, which had been greatly reduced by spring in 1945, they repeatedly targeted this facility. One of the buildings, an electric substation, still stands, but it is heavily pockmarked from aircraft fire. The outside of the building was never repaired. It remained in service, with its bullet-scarred exterior, until 1993. Anyway, maybe it provides some sense of symmetry to your story.

I should say this is the only building remaining on what was an enormous site. Much of the site has been turned into a public park now.

Thank you for the very fascinating story of the Hitachi factory war damage. It shows time has not made that conflict insignificant.

Would you or any other reader know of any Japanese ww2 veteran groups where survivors or their families might have forums such as this?

Thank you and have a great day.

Back
Top Bottom