What's new

Quick question about 下 and names.

ImNotJapanese

先輩
22 May 2003
The book that I'm working out of says that some Japanese girls write their family names in Kanji and their given names in hiragana (This is the premise for the exercise).
Now, when I was doing the exercise, I took the name 下田 かのこ for Shitada Kanoko. However, when I checked my answer in the back of the book, it was Shimoda Kanako. The book says that 下 can mean both Shita and Shimo. Why is it that in this case, it's taken as Shimo and not Shita? And is there any way to tell when I should use one instead of the other? I bet it has something to do with context, but I wish the book would at least explain it if it is.

Thanks.

ImNotJapanese said:
Now, when I was doing the exercise, I took the name 下田 かのこ for Shitada Kanoko. However, when I checked my answer in the back of the book, it was Shimoda Kanako. The book says that 下 can mean both Shita and Shimo. Why is it that in this case, it's taken as Shimo and not Shita?
Because her name is Shimoda Kanako not Shitada Kanoko. And because the surname 下田 appears to only be used with the reading Shimoda.
下田 【しただ】 Shitada (p)
is a place. You have to consider what word the kanji is part of it's no use just choosing your favorite reading for each individual kanji.

Moreover I hope the book didn't actually say "下 can mean both Shita and Shimo." because shita and shimo are /readings/ not /meanings/.

Nobody ever said it was going to be easy....or make sense.

the kanji for japanese names can often be bizarre and confusing. i'd rate my kanji recognition fairly high, but i'm still often completely stumped on name readings. even names with simple kanji in them, such as the example you gave, sometimes have alternative readings ('ateji').

i wouldn't get too discouraged. i didn't know 下田 was shimoda either until you just told me then.

okaeri_man said:
the kanji for japanese names can often be bizarre and confusing. i'd rate my kanji recognition fairly high, but i'm still often completely stumped on name readings. even names with simple kanji in them, such as the example you gave, sometimes have alternative readings
Which is why learning name readings is _way_ down my list of priorities.

Especially given names. With family names, you're on firmer ground.

I happen to know it just because I lived near Shimokitazawa. It's something you have to pick up. There are lots of archaic relics in names.

Back
Top Bottom