What's new

Questions regarding working in Japan and some trivia stuff

lachiplo

後輩
17 Sep 2007
Hi guys, this is my first post. Sorry if I missed out anything obvious, please pardon me thanks!

When should we apply the working visa? I suppose we can only apply working visa only after we have managed to grab a job there? So how excalty you could grab a job there even before you could enter? hmm maybe entering Japan as a tourist first or something? Actually im a arranger/composer, I have completed a album and have been sending out demos tracks of my album, well I guess spamming to several companies via email. One of the companies appeared to be interested and requested for a interview. How excalty should I do this? (I emailed them in english, they replied but I couldnt excalty figure out what they are trying to say) I would actually be expecting to be rejected, and probably continue searching for more jobs. Is it possible to enter as a tourist and search for jobs over there? If i have secure myself a job, could I apply the working visa over japan itself?

Hmm the next thing is, is a diploma cert valuable? Is it even possible to find a job using it? I have a diploma cert in Electronic, computer and communication, majoring in computer systems. Just incase i couldnt find myself a arranger related job maybe I could actually make use of my cert and get a job in the related field? I only have 2 years of working experience and I know its gotta be real hard, therefore I think I will be spending sometime thinking before I will make my move.

I also heard that there is this formal and informal way of speaking right?
How are the differences like? Is it something like "Hi John" and "Yo John"? Or is the formal way of speaking something more like shakespeare english? I think I will probably get slapped literally if I say yo to my boss

If I am able to read jap mangas, watch animes and dramas in ease (without sub or dub of course), could I say that I could at least do some basic communication with them? I am not too sure how excalty they speak in reality rather than in comics and staged act.

Oh yeah, I wont be taking any action until maybe a year later where my japanese language gets better or if I could secure a job through the net (rather impossible to me)

Composers need to get the Artist type of work visa, valid for 1 year or 3 years.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/04.html
Details on what you need to provide include
1. Documents certifying the activity, its duration, and the position of the person concerned.
2. Material showing the achievements of the artistic activity of the person concerned.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/05.html

Yes, you will need to arrange for an employer before you can apply for the work visa. Basically, you find someone whether you are inside or outside of the country who is willing to sponsor you. I am not in the music business, so I can't really suggest any places to look, but I can tell you this. If you come as a tourist, you are technically not supposed to look for work here, so don't tell immigration that when you arrive, or they will put you back on the plane home. After you find an employer (whether you are here or not), you will need to apply for the Certificate of Eligibility, and when that arrives, it goes to your employer, who then knows you can get a visa, and he sends the COE to you.
VISA
Immigration Services Agency of Japan
Many of the forms you need can be found on the last link above.

One of the companies appeared to be interested and requested for a interview. How excalty should I do this? (I emailed them in english, they replied but I couldnt excalty figure out what they are trying to say)
You are going to have to deal with the language barrier as best as you can. People here in Japan get 6 or more years of education in English, but they can really barely communicate with it, so it is up to you to learn Japanese. It's smart anyway because if you do actual business here, you are going to have to know how to understand contracts and such. If you can't use Japanese yourself, you'll have to pay for an interpreter and/or contract lawyer who can.

Hmm the next thing is, is a diploma cert valuable? Is it even possible to find a job using it? I have a diploma cert in Electronic, computer and communication, majoring in computer systems. Just incase i couldnt find myself a arranger related job maybe I could actually make use of my cert and get a job in the related field? I only have 2 years of working experience and I know its gotta be real hard, therefore I think I will be spending sometime thinking before I will make my move.
You might be eligible for an Artist work visa, but you might also see if you qualify for an Entertainer work visa or a Skilled Labor work visa. Read the requirements in the Appendix here.
VISA (Skilled Labor is described for several jobs, but not including composer or musician because there is already a work visa for that, but Skilled Labor visa requires 10 years of work experience if you don't have a relevant degree.)

Moreover, a typical degree that is accepted is a bachelor's degree, so I don't think your diploma will be sufficient. You may have to deal with an immigration lawyer to make your credentials look like they fit immigration's requirements. Everything here is "case by case", and people with 2-year diplomas have gotten work visas with such help, but I will not promise that it can work for you.

Personally, I think you are not going to qualify for any of those visas.

I also heard that there is this formal and informal way of speaking right?
How are the differences like? Is it something like "Hi John" and "Yo John"? Or is the formal way of speaking something more like shakespeare english? I think I will probably get slapped literally if I say yo to my boss
There are several levels of politeness when using Japanese, yes. "Yo" might be something people use in your profession whether they have just met or are closer friends. I would caution using such slang, though, until you have come to know someone here (or they use it first). The politeness refers to using Japanese, not Enlish, but read up on how to be professional and businesslike and polite, in either language. You clearly don't know anything about the Japanese language, and if you plan to come here, I suggest that you take courses now! In business dealings, people are very strict about politeness and image. Getting your foot in the door usually takes contacts more than anything else, too.

If I am able to read jap mangas, watch animes and dramas in ease (without sub or dub of course), could I say that I could at least do some basic communication with them?
Stop right here. Never EVER use that word "Jap", whether in a discussion forum or when speaking in Japan! It is a racial slur as old as World War II.

You are not going to be able to watch dramas and understand them without subtitles until you have several years of intensive language study. Reading manga is not as easy as you might think, but just think of it. Do people really speak like comic book characters or movie characters in real life? No. It's close, and some people might say it's better than stiff textbook language, but I'd say learn the basic grammar first. You don't have to speak perfect grammar here; Japanese are accustomed to foreigners speaking Japanese poorly, but at least make the effort, ok?

hey thanks for the help, help me alot =) Seriously didnt know that word was kind of racist too, my bad really

I forgot afew things, do i need to pay tax ? like maybe 10% of my income or something. what is the difference between JLPT and BJPT? Which one will be more practical and useful?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom