What's new

Question Questions about spouse visa

Makkozz

後輩
1 Jun 2018
I know this has probably been asked several times but I want to just double check with my circumstances if anyone knows answers to the following questions.

First I'll give a bit of background so you understand the gist of my relationship before hand. I'm currently a four year university student in the UK. 3 years ago I met my current girlfriend whilst she was studying abroad here in the UK. So we've been dating for 3 years, I've done a year abroad in Japan as well whilst I was with her and I've travelled there 6 times to see her and she's been here in the UK 4 other times to visit me.

So obviously I'm intending on marrying her so the first question I have. Would I be able to go to Japan and marry in Japan itself and then apply for a spousal visa whilst there at the same time? Might be a hard question to answer but thought I'd ask here first before enquiring further.

Second of all, is there a financial requirement for the spouse to have? I mean she works in Tokyo currently, full time at a job which earns here about 4,000,000 yen a year? I've looked for income requirement and haven't found anything so was just curios. Either way her parents are willing to cosign it if necessary.

I'm guessing if I get it granted you just renew it every 1-3 years depending how long the visa is issued for? How long does a spousal visa need to be before I could apply for some sort of permanent residency instead of having to renew it?

What are any of the possible problems you see me coming up against? Like I said I'm a student etc about to graduate, but I'm pretty sure the length of our relationship and how much we've met each other and studied at the same universities would be enough to prove it isn't just a sham?

Thanks in advance!

I can't speak to the spouse visa but as for other issues. There is a lot to consider when being in a relationship with someone from a different culture and whose native language is different than your own. My advice is to make sure that you have talked over everything and make sure that you, in general, have similar ideas/opinions about what your expectations of the relationship will be. Make sure you talk about what your expectations for each other may be, talk about money, talk about kids and how you want to raise them, talk about visits to family, talk about where you will live long term. I'm guessing that you are of typical college age and I know how, at that age, you don't have a lot of life experience and relationship experience to go on. I hate to mention them because I have mixed feelings on them but it may be worth seeking out one of the "relationship compatibility guides" that exist. They are basically a list of topics that you can talk about with your significant other in order to find out what each of you thinks about those topics. The benefit of a guide like that is that there are likely topics in there that wouldn't have ever come up in normal conversation that may be very important to one or both of you and that you may have very different views on. Please realize that I am not trying to be a naysayer to discourage you and there is no such thing as a perfect relationship. Relationships take work and there will always be ups and downs but the more information you have going in the better. Also, when you have those discussions be very honest about how you feel or what you think, it will defeat the purpose otherwise.

You also will want to make sure that you are learning Japanese and are actively working on becoming proficient, you will need it in order to be able to accomplish things without your wife having to chaperone you in order to translate. Be prepared for a different work culture as well, though you likely would be adapting to that anyway, as you are still in college, it might be far different than you expect.

Good luck, I wish you all the best! :)

I can't speak to the spouse visa but as for other issues. There is a lot to consider when being in a relationship with someone from a different culture and whose native language is different than your own. My advice is to make sure that you have talked over everything and make sure that you, in general, have similar ideas/opinions about what your expectations of the relationship will be. Make sure you talk about what your expectations for each other may be, talk about money, talk about kids and how you want to raise them, talk about visits to family, talk about where you will live long term. I'm guessing that you are of typical college age and I know how, at that age, you don't have a lot of life experience and relationship experience to go on. I hate to mention them because I have mixed feelings on them but it may be worth seeking out one of the "relationship compatibility guides" that exist. They are basically a list of topics that you can talk about with your significant other in order to find out what each of you thinks about those topics. The benefit of a guide like that is that there are likely topics in there that wouldn't have ever come up in normal conversation that may be very important to one or both of you and that you may have very different views on. Please realize that I am not trying to be a naysayer to discourage you and there is no such thing as a perfect relationship. Relationships take work and there will always be ups and downs but the more information you have going in the better. Also, when you have those discussions be very honest about how you feel or what you think, it will defeat the purpose otherwise.

You also will want to make sure that you are learning Japanese and are actively working on becoming proficient, you will need it in order to be able to accomplish things without your wife having to chaperone you in order to translate. Be prepared for a different work culture as well, though you likely would be adapting to that anyway, as you are still in college, it might be far different than you expect.

Good luck, I wish you all the best! 🙂:

I'm older than most university students because I started later so my age is 26, as for learning Japanese my major is Japanese Language and East Asian studies so I'm fluent in Japanese at N1 level so language barrier isn't a problem! As for how much I've talked to her etc considering she's spent a year at my university and then I spent a year at her university we've been together for long periods of times (Half our relationship to be exact) so I think we are fine in that area. As for our future hopes we've talked about that a lot over the years and pretty much agree with most of it, nothing too contrary to what each other wants as well.

All together as well including my year abroad I've been to Japan over most holidays totalling around 2 years and considering I've done the year abroad I think it shouldn't shock me too much, I mean the working culture might be different but I haven't really worked here in the UK either so don't have anything to compare it with really when it comes to expectations.

I'm fluent in Japanese at N1 level so language barrier isn't a problem!

Pardon my asking for clarification. Does that mean you have taken and passed N1 or does it mean you presume you are at N1 level because that's where you were told you would be at this point in the curriculum?

Would I be able to go to Japan and marry in Japan itself and then apply for a spousal visa whilst there at the same time?
Yes.

Second of all, is there a financial requirement for the spouse to have?
I take it you mean a requirement for the spousal visa. In a sense, yes. But it's more like a joint requirement, which I think can be met by either spouse. It can also be met by the parents vouching for you. My father-in-law had to do that for me because I was here on a work visa hoping to change to spouse visa, and I was between jobs at the time. My wife was not making a lot. I'm guessing your wife's income would suffice, but have her phone immigration to confirm.

I'm guessing if I get it granted you just renew it every 1-3 years depending how long the visa is issued for?
Yes
How long does a spousal visa need to be before I could apply for some sort of permanent residency instead of having to renew it?
There's the gray area that even immigration probably can't answer. You'll find a lot of anecdotal information on the Internet, and most of it seems to say that you have to fulfill at least 3 years of marriage, I think. (It's been a while since I was involved in helping people with situations like yours.) Keep in mind that you can continue renewing your spousal visa and simultaneously file for PR with no hindrance to your visa status.

What are any of the possible problems you see me coming up against?
Mostly procedural, I think. Have your girlfriend find out from city hall or her ward office where you plan to live what paperwork is needed to grant you a marriage license. Takes 10 minutes to file for it and get it. Any wedding ceremony is separate from that and entirely up to you two, whether you want one or not.

Pardon my asking for clarification. Does that mean you have taken and passed N1 or does it mean you presume you are at N1 level because that's where you were told you would be at this point in the curriculum?

Taken and passed the N1 level before i came back from my year abroad last summer!

Would I be able to go to Japan and marry in Japan itself and then apply for a spousal visa whilst there at the same time?
Yes.

Second of all, is there a financial requirement for the spouse to have?
I take it you mean a requirement for the spousal visa. In a sense, yes. But it's more like a joint requirement, which I think can be met by either spouse. It can also be met by the parents vouching for you. My father-in-law had to do that for me because I was here on a work visa hoping to change to spouse visa, and I was between jobs at the time. My wife was not making a lot. I'm guessing your wife's income would suffice, but have her phone immigration to confirm.

I'm guessing if I get it granted you just renew it every 1-3 years depending how long the visa is issued for?
Yes
How long does a spousal visa need to be before I could apply for some sort of permanent residency instead of having to renew it?
There's the gray area that even immigration probably can't answer. You'll find a lot of anecdotal information on the Internet, and most of it seems to say that you have to fulfill at least 3 years of marriage, I think. (It's been a while since I was involved in helping people with situations like yours.) Keep in mind that you can continue renewing your spousal visa and simultaneously file for PR with no hindrance to your visa status.

What are any of the possible problems you see me coming up against?
Mostly procedural, I think. Have your girlfriend find out from city hall or her ward office where you plan to live what paperwork is needed to grant you a marriage license. Takes 10 minutes to file for it and get it. Any wedding ceremony is separate from that and entirely up to you two, whether you want one or not.

Thanks for the information! I wasnt really well informed on the marriage procedure in Japan and all that so your information has been great!

Im taking it as long as you are still married getting a renewal of the visa is quite simple then?

Im taking it as long as you are still married getting a renewal of the visa is quite simple then?

Provided your circumstances haven't changed dramatically, it should be just a formality.

Like thomas said. Some people find it frustrating to get only a 1-year period even for renewal in some cases. That's just the breaks. But renewal itself is straightforward.

Taken and passed the N1 level before i came back from my year abroad last summer!

That is a most commendable accomplishment! I'm so used to Japanese majors who graduated not even ready to try N2 that it is heartening and refreshing to learn of your success.

That is a most commendable accomplishment! I'm so used to Japanese majors who graduated not even ready to try N2 that it is heartening and refreshing to learn of your success.

Yeah, having being student I know what you mean! To be totally honest I would of probably ended up as one of then if it wasn't for my girlfriend. She pretty much forced me to study often and considering her major was English language and linguistics she was actually able to teach me a lot outside of what I learnt in class. My year abroad university (Kyoto University) also had a big role in helping me learn a lot whilst I was over there.

Seems like you have all your ducks in a row: one thing to consider is looking at scholarship programs for a masters - maybe contact your profs from Kyoto uni.

There is a lot more available from overseas (outside of japan) and with N1 you would have a big leg up.

If you can get a scholarship, you would be financially self sufficient and perhaps be better prepared to get a job in japan.

Have a look (google global 30 japan ) and also contact your prof from Kyoto (kyoto has a lot of "in uni" scholarships with living support) by that I mean they can choose you and recommend you to MEXT

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom