What's new

Questions about Japan Customs/Traditions

BlueThunderKuno

Baseball Samurai
3 Jul 2007
Ok I have a few issues that I cant seem to find a complete answer to.

~ Is tipping ever required? I understand the majority of Japan there is no tipping, but are there times where it is encouraged?

~ Public restrooms, I have heard stories that there are no paper in most public restrooms and to bring my own, is this correct? Also what is a good ratio to western to japanese style restrooms?

~ Hotel maid service. Is there a specific time when they come in to clean?

These are just some oddball questions that have come up in my mind.

No tipping.

The "no paper in public restrooms" thing is largely outdated these days, although it is always best to err on the side of caution. You don't have to walk around with a roll of toilet paper, though, if that's what you're worried about.

I would tend to think that all the hotels that you will be staying at will likely have the Hotel Directory written in at least understandable English, and the check-out times will be given, and you should be able to ask for your room to not be cleaned, if that's what you would wish...otherwise, I'd say that room cleaning hours are pretty international in timing.

Most washrooms I've entered that were in public areas had 2-3 Japanese style toilets and perhaps 1 Western one. In more modern settings like department stores and newer stations, that actually reverses and most of the toilets are Western style with handle bars and all that stuff for elderly/handicapped individuals with only one Japanese style toilet. With the aging population you can expect this trend to continue I would imagine.

You can reasonably expect to find in most semi-modern locations at least one Western toilet, but in a building that seems quite traditional and void of updates and modern equipment you may not find one. (Small mama-san bars, old train stations, etc)

In Japan most men carry a hankerchief or small towel to wipe the brow and face in the summer and dry hands if required. Having a few and rotating them through the wash will ensure you've always got a backup should you not find any paper. Some of the hand dryers in Japan are extremely powerful though, but only in the newest places.

Some toilets are pay toilets. 100 yen. They are really nice compared to the free ones! :)

I spend a lot of time in hotels in Japan. The maids all cleaned between the hours of 8am-4pm. After 4pm you could get towels and the garbage emptied. The cleaning people all knew a little English and if they didn't the person in charge did. The room signs were in Japanese and English. Room service all spoke English too!

That's true, but if you live in an area long enough you'll find those hidden free toilet gems. There was one free washroom located above my local DVD rental shop that was actually the common area/reception area of an office building that didn't close till very late, but there was never anyone there. The washrooms were spotless, heated seats, paper towels, bidet, the whole works. Shame to think that such a nice facility would get trashed here in the West. It was spotless and un-abused for the entire year as far as I remember. I treated it with great respect as it saved my life a few times! :D

I'd recommend carrying a hankerchief as mentioned by bakakanadajin. The availability of napkins seems much less in Japan vs. the U.S. for some reason.

However, tissues won't be an issue in the cities. In the populated areas there are people that hand out small packs of tissues that have advertising to passer bys. So you can just collect these in case of a bathroom emergencies.

I bought this book called "toilets of the world" I saw a few very interesting Japanese toilets and in Hong Kong they have a soild gold one.

The tissue paper is really my only concern, but it seems like my worries are for naught.

The tissue paper is really my only concern, but it seems like my worries are for naught.

Yeah, I think your only concern will be where to put the toilet paper in, lol, as I have noticed that restrooms don't generally have trash bins in side of the toilet. I guess you just have to flush the paper down the drain.

Also, aside from that, there are not many garbage bins in Japan. On the street, at least, so you might be surprised if you need to hold onto some trash for a while.

Mauricio

there are not many garbage bins in Japan. On the street, at least, so you might be surprised if you need to hold onto some trash for a while.
Mauricio
That's a great tip: thank you.
How about on Bullet Trains?? We will need to have a couple of quick meals on our trips methinks

Yeah, I think your only concern will be where to put the toilet paper in, lol, as I have noticed that restrooms don't generally have trash bins in side of the toilet. I guess you just have to flush the paper down the drain.
Also, aside from that, there are not many garbage bins in Japan. On the street, at least, so you might be surprised if you need to hold onto some trash for a while.
Mauricio

Wait a minute.

Don't people always flush their toilet paper? The only time I didn't is when my toilet was broken.

My friend said some Japanese toilets shoot water at your butt.

All the toilets I came across you flush the paper. Some toilets will spray your backside with water if you press a button. I personally think a simpler toilet is the best. Some have so many buttons I feel like I am in mission control and preparing to launch the space shuttle! One toilet made flushing sounds to cover up any bodily noises. I leave the buttons alone.

Wait a minute.
Don't people always flush their toilet paper? The only time I didn't is when my toilet was broken.
My friend said some Japanese toilets shoot water at your butt.

Your friend is right. Most all of the hotels I've stayed at had the sprayers (front and back). But there's also toilet paper, too.

If you couldn't flush the toilet paper down, what would you do with it after use? Fold it up and put it into your pocket?! :p

Your friend is right. Most all of the hotels I've stayed at had the sprayers (front and back). But there's also toilet paper, too.
If you couldn't flush the toilet paper down, what would you do with it after use? Fold it up and put it into your pocket?! :p

All of non-Japanese toilets have that space-shuttle thingy going on. I use them everyday, but haven't tried the spray buttons. I am just too scared to know what can happen, lol.
Yes, I always flush them down the toilet, but at least in America, pretty much all toilets have garbage bins inside of them. Just an observation.

Mauricio

In America there may be garbage bins but they aren't for used toilet paper. In mens toilets they are probably for used kleenex or just garbage. In womens toilets they are for "sanitary products of a feminine nature" and sometimes for diapers, and of course garbage too. I don't know of anyone who doesn't flush toilet paper.

All of non-Japanese toilets have that space-shuttle thingy going on. I use them everyday, but haven't tried the spray buttons. I am just too scared to know what can happen, lol.
Yes, I always flush them down the toilet, but at least in America, pretty much all toilets have garbage bins inside of them. Just an observation.
Mauricio
In Cyprus we do not flush and have a bin instead. It's cause we don't have a sewage network and toilet paper clogs up the cess pits.
SO if you ever have a Cypriot round, move out the bin if there is one in the toilet or you may find a nasty suprise in there :D

about finding information on portals...

can anyone direct me to the best portal(s)/directory(ies) for finding information about exotic travel, education, history etc in Japan? I am trying to set up a huge information website for Japan (and to a lesser degree also about China --serving a couple of European countries) and I simply need ....well, lots of good content, and local contacts who wish to get additional european exposure on the stuff that they offer...anyone?:🙂

Back
Top Bottom