What's new

[Question] Paparazzi

Seon-a Kim

김선아
24 Oct 2006
Well I was curious how these are in Japan, how far they go or can go and how the general population reacts on these. Like I can't imagine that they can target the family of the Emperor just as much as they do with the Queens house in England.

(actual paparazzi, not ordinary press)

What an interesting question!

I'd also love to hear the views of those in Japan on this (I must say, I never even thought about it whilst I was living there). I guess that it exists, but that the Imperial family is shielded from it almost completely...?

The Paparazzi here in the UK fill an awful lot of newspapers (the tabloid ones, especially, but not exclusively) and cause a great amount of discomfort to those they chase.

At the same time, many media 'careers' are either launched or greatly enhanced by such activity. Two examples are Princess Diana (who actively courted the Paparazzi in some instances) and Angelina Jolie (who's known for cultivating a symbiotic relationship, for mutual gain, with those photographers).

:?

As long as they're targetting the real royalty of Japan (the 芸能界), then the sky is the limit. When it comes to what we more traditionally think of as royalty, they're much more reserved. Probably in large part due to fear of reprisals from uyoku groups, such fear being grounded in past actual attacks (and I don't mean the verbal kind).

As long as they're targetting the real royalty of Japan (the ナ竹窶拿ナ?E), then the sky is the limit. When it comes to what we more traditionally think of as royalty, they're much more reserved. Probably in large part due to fear of reprisals from uyoku groups, such fear being grounded in past actual attacks (and I don't mean the verbal kind).

Sorry Mike, I didn't understand that at all. I can't read Kanji and didn't understand the romaji either (does it mean extreme right-wing groups by any chance?)

If by the traditional part you do mean the Imperial family, then perhaps it's as much to do with the cosy relationship between the Imperial household and the newspapers as it is due to the perceived threat of violence? I know a little bit about the relationship between the 'press clubs' and the police in Japan, and imagine it to be something similar...?

The Paparazzi here in the UK fill an awful lot of newspapers (the tabloid ones, especially, but not exclusively) and cause a great amount of discomfort to those they chase.:?

Yeah, like how the Papparazzi handles the royal family, especially the two princes, God, they can't have a minute alone for themselves and fortheir girlfrineds.

Mauricio

Are the Japanese royal family allowed the freedom that royal families from other countries (European mainly I guess) have? I always thought that there were restrictions on where they went and what they get to do, almost like prisoners. If that is the case then the paparazzi wouldn't have the access to them.

Back
Top Bottom