What's new

question about verbs ending

patroclus

先輩
26 Mar 2006
Hello!

I'm studying japanese on my own, and I know quite lots of verb endings such as arukeru (I can walk), arukenai (I can't walk), arukereba (If I could walk), aruku tame ni (for the purpose of walk), aruku no ni (in order to walk), and so on...

But I met with some verbs I just don't understand which meaning is getting. For example, kasanetehora (from kasaneru, to put together). -Te form + hora. What does it mean??

thank you!
:)

Konnichiwa patroclus-san!
Welcome and Hajimemashite. Please enjoy the forum!🙂

But I met with some verbs I just don't understand which meaning is getting. For example, kasanetehora (from kasaneru, to put together). -Te form + hora. What does it mean??

Hora? What is -hora?😌
I think it is a verb ending who use Horror Man in Anime "Anpanman". Horror Man say "verb + hora" always.:p

NANGI

Doozo yoroshiku! Arigatoo 😊
It is from a song lyric. I suppose it is not the best way to learn, as many songs usually have some very coloquial language. 😌
The whole sentence is
"Ryoute wo sotto kasanetehora hohoemukara"
and it is traduced as
"Our hands are gently touch, and then look at me smile"
It is not the only question I have, so maybe the author is using some "extrange" language here? ☝

Yes, I think trying to learn Japanese from lyrics is a bad idea because lyrics are written with omissions and non-standard sentence structure very often.

I had no idea what you were asking about in your first post. It has become clear with your second.

It is not a single sentence but two:
Ryoute wo sotto kasanete (Put both hands gently together)
Hora hohoemukara (See? They will smile)

"Hora" is a marker to direct attention to something, which in this case is most likely hands.

BTW, I like Nangi-san's suggestion! I didn't know about Horror Man until now! I should be watching Anpanman more often! 😊

There's a big long list of things you can do with verbs (things like tameni and noni aren't really 'endings' as such) at timwerx.net, have a look if you want.

Yes now it is clear. :)
I will look into other resources in order to practice.
I only have one more question,
"Futari ga kitto deaeruyouna mahou wo kakete"
deaeruyouna??
I looked up in a dictionary, and can't find any verb verb deaeru or deaeruyou,.. what does it mean, and what about that -youna?
I know you desu after a verb means something like "seems to" :p

deaeru is from deau - to meet.

You know how on the end of prayers and things youni is added on the end? Well it is a similar meaning here, I can't think exactly how to explain it right now, I should be asleep already , maybe 'so that'?. of course because it is modifying mahou like a na adjective we use na and not ni here.

The sentence could be translated as: cast a spell so that the two of us wil be able to meet.

by the way, there is a whole 'learning japanese' section of the forum here if you haven't found it yet.

The use of "youna" as opposed to "you ni" in this case simply signifies uncertainty as to whether the magic will work or not. You ni leaves the rather odd understanding that the speaker is a believer in spells, sorcery and the like and gives it a reasonable chance of being effective.

KrazyKat said:
deaeru is from deau - to meet.
You know how on the end of prayers and things youni is added on the end? Well it is a similar meaning here, I can't think exactly how to explain it right now, I should be asleep already , maybe 'so that'?. of course because it is modifying mahou like a na adjective we use na and not ni here.
The sentence could be translated as: cast a spell so that the two of us wil be able to meet.
Both youna and youni is possible, though the meaning will be slightly different.
kitto deaeruyouna mahou wo kakete
cast a spell that enables us to meet for sure.
kitto deaeruyouni / mahou wo kakete
cast a spell so that we will meet for sure.

undrentide said:
Both youna and youni is possible, though the meaning will be slightly different.
kitto deaeruyouna mahou wo kakete
cast a spell that enables us to meet for sure.
kitto deaeruyouni / mahou wo kakete
cast a spell so that we will meet for sure.
Thanks undrentide ! Sorry if my explanation was misleading....what I meant to say was that 'you ni' carried a stronger implication between cause and effect. Sometimes I get confused, though, because for instance something like "Kaze wo hikanai you ni, uwagi wo kite kudasi" doesn't guarantee if you wear a coat you won't come down with a cold. I suppose the only difference is that it's just a softer, more natural and conversational phrasing than "tame ni." :?

Back
Top Bottom