What's new

Question about Immigration/ Visa Status

Device

Registered
26 Feb 2016
Hello.

I am really stressed out and I don't know who else I can ask about these questions. I want to thank anyone in advance for your help.

First a little background.

I worked for one year with one of the big named ALT companies but they messed up the visa renewal process. They had me working extra hours without getting an exemption for more work. Immigration wanted to reject my renewal. The only way to avoid trouble was to withdraw my renewal and leave the country and contract for "family emergencies". This was worked out between immigration and my company. They paid for my flights and the rest of my salary.

Now this is my real question. The new semester is coming up and the same company wants to rehire me under a brand new contract. Right now the CoE is being finished and they will want me to work in the new semester.

This is the problem. I don't want to work for these people anymore. I want to give my quitting notice as soon as I land. I have been applying for other jobs and I found a great fit. The problem is that it is an Eikaiwa job not an ALT job.

I understand I would have to change my visa status at immigration but I am worried that immigration will see that I have quit my other job right away and reject my status switch.

Other than ruining my terms with my old company, will quitting my job as soon as I land cause problems at immigration? This is what I am worried about. If there is a fine I have to pay for breaking the old contract I am not concerned. I am just worried that immigration may reject the status.

Does anyone have any advice/ information/ thoughts about this situation?

Thank you for any help, once again I truly am grateful. I have been stuck in my home country for four months trying to get back to Japan and am so so worried that I will just be sent back from all these problems this company caused.

Last edited:
Pretty simple, actually.

Tell your ALT employer no thanks.
Apply for a change of visa status with your eikaiwa employer. The form is straightforward.

Sadly, this seems to have been another drive-by poster who never came back to check for replies.

Just found this site (was looking for personal finance stuff). Can't believe I didn't know about it before!

Guess I'll be seeing you at national, Glenski :)

Back
Top Bottom