What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Pronouncing some unusual kanji

CliveC

Registered
Reaction score
Hi:
I'm recording a book in English that has some kanji in it. Most of them I can get a pronunciation for from Google translate. But some come up as not recognised in Japanese – but they are in Chinese. I believe these "shared" kanji are pronounced differently in Japanese than in Chinese. Can anyone help me so that I can pronounce them reasonably accurately as a Japanese would say them? Here is an example:
怒驘 詈腗四
The first and fifth kanji are pronounced on Google Translate as Japanese characters. But the 2nd, 3rd and 4th aren't. How would I pronounce the whole string of kanji? Likewise this string:
泆膽 藻麵
And this:
奴犁 夸謎
And finally, this:
大 嚙
Thanks for any help you can give! Even just a spelling out of the sounds using English letters would be really useful.

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Those kanji don't occur in Japanese, so they wouldn't have a commonly understood pronunciation. For example, the first non-Japanese kanji in your text is 驘. This is not part of the Japanese inventory of kanji, but it is an alternate form of the kanji 騾, which exists (sort of) in Japanese and is pronounced ra. But that doesn't mean this pronunciation works for 驘. Its almost like looking at Rune symbols and asking how they would be pronounced in English.

CliveC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Majestic. I'll try contacting the author and see if he can provide any guidance.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Are those words really used as four compound words? Are they used as Chinese words? In what context those "words" are used?

CliveC

Registered
Reaction score
They are all kanji used for people's names. Normally, the kanji chosen would be flattering; these are the opposite! I have now received the correct pronunciation for them from the author's wife (who is Japanese), so the problem is solved. Thanks for your help.

Clive

Top Bottom