What's new

Planning for my future, need opinions

songwei

後輩
17 Jan 2010
Hello guys. I'm new to this forum. I'm from Singapore and am interested to study design. I have previously gotten my diploma in industrial design, and would like to take on a car design degree.

Currently I am currently accepted to Coventry University(UK) car design course. But I am looking for more options, and I thought of Japan. I have done some research and read about TCA(Tokyo Communication Arts).

If I am not wrong, TCA is a Senmon Gakkou ? Pardon me if I am wrong. Its a vocational training institute and not a university. I had the institute to send me the information booklet and was quite impressed of the works there. They seemed to have very strong industrial links and intensive course curriculum, and the course is a lot cheaper than Coventry Uni. Therefore I need some advice from the people in this forum.

A.
What local's and overseas perception of a Senmon Gakkou? Its not a university and you do not get a degree certificate, if so, at what kind of level a graduate student is compared to a university grad student? What qualifications do I get out of it?

B.
Language is my greatest barrier for now. I have just started taking up Japanese language course but I believe I wont be able to make it to the minimum mark by the time school starts. I would do not mind studying the language in Japan first before going for the school, however I would like to know
1. How long is a language course usually last?
2. Is it possible to get a confirmed place in the institute first, then pay full commitment to study the language in Japan?
3. For foreigners that study in Japan, how fast can I pick up the basics of communication base on your experiences?

I have been to Japan twice, and I love it a lot. Maybe that's one of the reason I prefer to study in Japan than in UK. But I will make a point to travel to UK soon to make sure my choice is right or not. Pardon for my lengthy story, but I would like to give a full picture of my situation. Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Song Wei

Last edited:
:(:(:(:?:?
oh mann...Or maybe someone whom you know that is/was. student in tca that is willing to help? Maybe you might send me their contacts.

a million thanks
Song Wei

If you want to study in Japan but do not yet have the proper language skills I would first come here and study Japanese intensively and try to pass the level 1 or 2 JLPT, since it is likely a requirement to become a regular student.

How long it takes you to reach a high level is totally up to you, (your effort and natural ability). There is no set level you should expect yourself to be at after xx number of months or years here. But I will say going from nothing to passing level 1 in one, or even two years is probably a superhuman feat for most people.

Its been a while since I last answer to this kind of post. So here goes nothing.

What local's and overseas perception of a Senmon Gakkou? Its not a university and you do not get a degree certificate, if so, at what kind of level a graduate student is compared to a university grad student? What qualifications do I get out of it?
No degree, just senmonshi. Probably equivalent to a 3-years University course Diplomas. overseas perception? definitely lower then a 4-years bachelors degree. Which is bad because most places only wants degree and higher.

Language is my greatest barrier for now. I have just started taking up Japanese language course but I believe I wont be able to make it to the minimum mark by the time school starts. I would do not mind studying the language in Japan first before going for the school, however I would like to know
1. How long is a language course usually last?
2. Is it possible to get a confirmed place in the institute first, then pay full commitment to study the language in Japan?
3. For foreigners that study in Japan, how fast can I pick up the basics of communication base on your experiences?
1) 1 year. That should be enough time for you to grasp the minimum stuff. Then you'll improve while taking classes at TCA. Your Japanese will advance advance much faster at TCA. I know from my own experiences. Learning rate in my opinion is like this : Learning on your own < Learning at a Japanese language school in your home country <<<<<< Learning at a Japanese Language school in Japan <<<<<<<<<<< Actually going to classes with other Japanese and talking to them.

2) No, but unlike Universities, senmon gakkou usually have 100% acceptance rate. You should be ok.

3) 3 months or so. Thats when all the students flocks out to find part-time work. Unless you play most of the time, then never.

I'm from Malaysia, so I can probably point you into the right directions if you want. Like which Language School to go( tons of Singaporean and Malaysian there, you'll feel right at home ) etc.

Getting a degree is probably a better choice in my opinion. But that is your decision to make.

So greatful for the replies. If I'm right, TCA is the only car design course in Japan. I hve emailed the school on weather I can secure my positon in the school before applying for japanese language course(TCA is the only school I want to go in Japan) But they have yet to reply to me after a few days. :(:(

regards
song wei

just saw this...

You might want to try contacting Nagoya University. In their english website they mention an all-english Automotive Engineering Program. I'm not sure if they have already established this program yet, or planning to in the near future.

NOTE: I don't have enough posts to put URLs yet.
So just:
1. google Nagoya University, and click on the English version of their website
2. click on the "International Resources" tab/link at the bottom
3. click on the "The Global 30 Project" under the "International Educational Activies" heading
4. Read the "New All-English Courses" topic

Back
Top Bottom