What's new

Philippines

One of my good friends is Filipino.. Hmm.. Let's see what have I heard about it.. I have no idea.. Heh.. But my friend visits the Philippines. All I know is the Filipino people I know that live in North America tend to like Hip-Hop ? Heh.. Yeh, I don't know much..

Well, I did have one Filipino teacher, and she was pretty nice.

I don't know much about the Philipines except that there are those cool shirts and that there are a lot of Catholics.

well I had two Filipino classmates and they were very nice,especially the girl,and shes very beautiful too

is 'Maria' a common female name in Philipines?

Yes Dream Maria is very common in Filipina's name. Parent usually used 2 name for babies, 1st Maria and they another one. Like Maria Clara, Maria Luz, Maria Grace, Maria Joyce...and more

Well, let's see? Beautiful women, great food, great location and weather! I've never heard anything bad about the Phillipines! I've had two Phillipine girlfriends and they were great...in fact sometimes I wish that I had stayed with one of them!

Image of the Philippines :

- ex-Spanish and American colony. Got its name from Philip II of Spain
- lots of fanatic Christians
- prostitution (including children)
- beaches, rice terraces and typhoons
- been there, but couldn't find any typical food - just American or Chinese food in Manilla.
- Marcos regime
- cocks in a cardboard box starting to sing in the bus
- 4th largest immigrant group in Japan (usually duped into sex trade)
- jeepneys

Well, I'd say what stands out in my mind is pretty much the same as what Maciamo has listed. I was sitting here thinking of what popped up in my mind in regards to the Philippines, and all I could think of was Imelda Marcos, prostitution, mail order brides, Catholicism, grandpa stationed there during WWII and his pictures of MacArthur taken there, wild stories told by soldiers who were stationed there. I also thought of some of the people I know personally, who are very friendly and humble. Very down-to-earth.

I had typed out a reply with all of those things included, and then thought I wouldn't post it because it sounded so bad, but that's just what I think of when I think of the Philippines.

And of course, I know there are good things about the Philippines. I'm not saying there isn't.

Well, that's the image we're given. I didn't say it was true. I'm not so naive to rely on stereotypes like some people do.

CC1 said:
Is that your image or a google search?

That is my image after visiting the country (the best was the 2000year old rice terrace in northern Lugon and Vigan, a town with 17th c. Spanish architecture).

fillipino people are really nice i had 2fillipino friends at school
they taught me some words but the only word that i remember is( salamang po)i think
they said it means thank you or something

my sis is half chinese.. or half philipine... depending on how you see it..

her mom was chinese descendant living on the philipines.

they know tagalog 👍

When....

I was in the Navy, there were many USO shows. Many of the bands were from the Philippines. They spoke little English, yet they could immitate perfectly, big rock groups like CCR, 3 Dog Night, etc. . If you closed your eyes, you would have thought the originals were there on stage. Everything else I know if from WW2 times.

Frank

😊

What is the sudden burst of the culture-inquisition? First the Islam thread, then Loas, now this. Odd timing, I guess.

I'm not one to say "*insert nationality here* people are really nice" since @ssholes come in all shapes and colors, but I will say that oddly enough, every Filipino American I've encountered in my life above the age of 27 have been nothing shy of saintly.

I spent half of my life living with a Filipino familia more than my own.

Now that Ithink about it, my stylist is Filipino, and all of her coworkers are, and more often than not, they will speak Tagalog to me, because they all assume I am Filipino.

"But your last name is M****a, right?"

"Yes ma'am, but it is Chicano."

The confusion of the correlation of the Spanish culture really makes it tricky to be a Latino-American and set yourself apart from a Filipino-dominant community.

Sweet old ladies, nonetheless.

Frank D. White said:
I was in the Navy, there were many USO shows. Many of the bands were from the Philippines. They spoke little English, yet they could immitate perfectly, big rock groups like CCR, 3 Dog Night, etc. . If you closed your eyes, you would have thought the originals were there on stage. Everything else I know if from WW2 times.

Frank

😊

Frank, I forgot about that, they are still putting out bands left and right. Nothing that will ever be popular in the States, but very entertaining none the less. And like you said they can copy the original bands so well, sometimes your not sure if they are the originals or not!

What first came to mind was the war against the Muslim separatists. Second came Arroyo. Third was its past as a US colony. Only then I thought of it being made up of so many islands. Sometimes my mind goes weird ways.

edit: (& just now I remembered that many Germany buy themselves a wife in the Philippines) :?

I've been to the Philippines, but I was very young, so I don't remember much. I remember it was hot, the sea was beautiful, the market smelled bad, the sugar cane tasted like a cross between wood and celery, my birthday cake had a batman candle on it, the pinata, the nice neighbor boy, my aunt and uncle's huge house, jeepnies, bats, bugs, the locals liked to pinch my cheeks and pat my head, the flowers smelled good, hmmmm, that's about it.

Filipino

:) Guys, well..I've read all your message and point of view..I am Happy in a way that I know you are all very honest person. I really dont know, but I guess I dont know everything happened to each filipino and what they done that affects the image of our country wheather it is bad or good. But I assure you guys that theres a lot of good things here.. :haihai:

I heard of my coworkers wich I work with in the weekends that they thought it was GREAT !!!But they also said there were some pretty bad things like in the slums there was this HUUUUUGE mall, completely with plasma screen etc...that must stick those poor peoples eyes out I think :? And the prostitution also...

Back
Top Bottom