What's new

Other meaning for ね

elcot

後輩
31 Oct 2008
Hi everyone,
I was wondering, is there another meaning for ね, something that might meanない or something negative?

One of my friend who is studing japanese too told me that she often see ね after verbs like "taberu ne" in manga, but she thinks its more in a negative way like ない.

Did you ever seen ね used like ない ?

Thank you!

Not in the example you gave. 食べるね sounds to me like "you eat a lot" (although it would feel better to me with よく in there). There is ねえ, which is a sound change from ない, as in そんなこと言ってねえ! or やったのは俺じゃねえ! and such. It may be shortened in some cases too, like そうじゃね, but I'm not terribly sure about that.

I think what you are referring to is the way a lot of young people shorten the ない・ねえ to just ね. You hear it all the time on TV these days.

Before I give some examples, I have to stress that this use of ね is very colloquial and age-specific. I personally don't think it is appropriate for anyone over the age of 20.

ありえなくね? That's unbelievable/impossible/unlikely,etc., isn't it?
これ、やばくね? Isn't this great?
5000円はちょっと高すぎね? Don't you think ¥5000 is a bit much?
足利ってマジうざくね? Isn't ASHIKAGA really annoying?

The key to saying these phrases "right" is trying to pronounce the last three letters (なくね、ばくね、すぎね、ざくね)at a higher pitch.
ありえなくね
やばくね
うざくね

I wouldn't be caught dead using these phrases myself. It is just ありえね.

In addition, when a verb/adjective is used with ね as the meaning ない, it MUST be 未然形(mizen-kei) or nai-form root.

dictionary form + ね
(よく)食べるね。
As Glenn-san wrote, "you eat a lot."
(This ね is often pronounced as the long-voweled ねえ/ねぇ/ねー.)

or

(これから)食べるね。
"I'll eat."
(This ね is not pronounced as the long-voweled.)

nai-form root + ね
食べね(え)!
"I don't eat!"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom