What's new

Otakon Guessing Game

Nana007

後輩
10 Nov 2005
👍 Okay so Otakon has stated that its going to announce its last musical guest on the 20th. Supposedly this is a pretty big act. Now on the Otakon message board they left a couple of clues as to who could it be.

The clues are:
- Its NOT Hyde, Its Not L'arc~en~ciel
-Is a Bigger Act than Hyde - but we don't know if this means that they are bigger in Japan, or is just really popular in the U.S
-Both J-Rock and J-Pop fans will recognize this name.
-Also John said that it was a person who his CoWorker who does not like JPop/JRock knew who they were.
-Otakon was pretty shocked that they could even get this person
-Also they said that they expect a HELL of alot more people to PreReg when this act is announced.
-They also said that its a pretty obvious act, that when its announced you'll be smacking yourself on the forehead for not getting the clues.
-Its NOT Utada Hikaru cause she has lives in Japan around that time.
-Its NOT Dir en grey because of the FVT.

So using these clues who do you think it could be? Me personally am STUMPED but here are my guesses:

Gackt
Ayumi Hamasaki
B'z
Namie Amuro
Koda Kumi

Someone on the Otakon thought it might be Violet UK, while not ruling it out, I doubt it, cause 1 they have never released an album. 2 wouldn't Violet UK technically be a U.S band?

Have fun

OMFG if it's Violet UK, but I think it's probably Gackt.

Now I'm all super duper anxious...

I've never really thought about it, but a Gackt live seems like it'd be kinda awesome ^^

Wait... where are you even seeing this info at? I don't see it on Otakon's site.

Last edited:
The message board, go to Guest Relations and then there is a board about possible musical guest. All the "hints" are given between pages 35-55

I'm betting Gackt. Being told "Is a Bigger Act than Hyde" I'd be quite insulted if it was Koda Kumi or ... >: P

Plus, Gackt's one of the most debated "pop or rock?" artists out there. So if it's someone both sides would know about Gackt'll be a good choice.

More clues this time picked up from the Tofu Records forum:

Gwahahaha!

I know who it is!!

And it's not Gackt!

But keep thinking it is, if it makes you feel better!

(and Aki is right... seven days won't kill you all. Besides, if what I hear is true (and I'm sure it is), you will all be LINING up to see this guest!)

The artist, if they get them, is very big. Fans of J-Pop, J-Rock, and hell, music in general will be very excited.

(THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TOFU RECORDS!!!!)

So its not a Tofu artist, It not Gackt who has been top of everyones list. And its someone/band who will appeal to All music fans not just J-Pop, J-Rock. :p You got me I am stumped😌

Who the crap else could it be then?!

It has to be Yoshiki ... I can't think of anyone else.

I'm usually not so ridiculously obsessed with musicians to the point that I feel I might go crazy if I see them. I mean, we all know I love Karyu, but that's different, lol ...

I'm talking about an artist that I would absolutely not know how to react in front of ... Yoshiki is such a music legend to me ... a music "god" if you will ... I would be in absolute awe if I saw him.
*crosses fingers*

Last edited:
Well I have already prereg so its not like this last musician is going to Change my mind about whether to go or not, but all this speculation is driving me crazy.

Praying it's Yoshiki!!! Please, please, please be Yoshiki! I love Gackt but...Yoshiki is just, well, YOSHIKI. Please, Goddess, let it be him! :(

But is Yoshiki techically signed to Tofu? I know X (Japan) rights still belong to Tofu Records so does that count?

Hyde_is_my_anti-drug said:
Praying it's Yoshiki!!! Please, please, please be Yoshiki! I love Gackt but...Yoshiki is just, well, YOSHIKI. Please, Goddess, let it be him! :(
But is Yoshiki techically signed to Tofu? I know X (Japan) rights still belong to Tofu Records so does that count?

I thought about that too, but I'm not sure if that's completely the case. Especially because it'd be Violet UK if it was in fact Yoshiki, not X.

But I mean ... who is bigger than Hyde? Maybe we're all looking at this wrong and it's somebody who is like, fat or tall or something and that's what they meant by "bigger", lol! But then again ... just about everyone would be "bigger than Hyde" in that regard I suppose...

I'm still holding out hope that it's VUK :)

Maybe it's Miyavi?

I still want it to be Yoshiki sooooooooooooooo bad! I mean, he was part of the biggest rock band EVER but he was also part of Globe which is a mega pop band. I mean, it all fits. And to answer what the first post said about this, Violet UK's getting more press in Japan then here so yeah.

PLEASE BE YOSHIKI!!!

Dude ... maybe it is Miyavi, I never thought about that. I was trying to think of tall Jrock people, and the only one that would come to mind was Karyu (b/c my mind is so D'espa focused right now.)
It's totally Miyavi, he's a bridge between Jrock and Jpop, no? Especially with like this whole MYV rocks/pops stuff... yeah, it's totally Meevs. Though I'm not sure how the person's co-worker who doesn't like J-music knew who they were. Maybe b/c Miyavi was supposed to do Otakon in the past, but canceled.
Now I definitely think it's Miyavi.

ETA: I just looked over Otakon's forum and it definitely said more famous and unexpected than Hyde, not "bigger" than Hyde ... so my guess goes right back to good old Yoshiki :)

And now drumroll please...

Its Yoshiki 🍾 🍾 🍾 :cracker: :cracker: :cracker: 📣 📣 📣 🧑‍🎤 🧑‍🎤 🧑‍🎤 :win: :win: :win:
Hey all,
We're pleased to announce that Yoshiki, founder of X Japan and renowned music producer, will join MUCC and Nana Kitade as a guest of Otakon 2006. Yoshiki will be participating in a panel discussion of his work and signing autographs, but unfortunately we will not have the pleasure of having him perform a concert at the convention this year.
A full announcement, including bio, will go live on the Otakon website on Friday, 6/23. We hope that you all are as excited as we are to be welcoming one of the pioneering figures of Japanese independent rock to Otakon!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*screams and dances around the room*

I'm soooooooooooo happy right now ^^

too bad there's no performance, though ... *sulks a bit* ...

I know I had to fangirl for a bit. And my best friend was so fanboying as well although he denies it :LOL:

Seriously a Violet UK performance would have been SWEET.

...no, you're just short

tehehe

I might die right along with you ... but I'll try my best to keep my composure in front of him. This is such exciting news!

It is It is. Have you prereg yet. I prereg when I found out MUCC was coming. So I already had plans to go but this is just Icing on the cake.

No I haven't pre-reged, cause my bank account is at 0.00 ... but I will in the next few days (after whining to my dad like the spoiled brat that I am).

I'm definitely going, though, no doubt.

You know I had actuall interest in this con. But it looks like I am going to spend most of my time standing in line. Standing in line to see Mucc and standing in line to go to the Yoshiki panel, cause you KNOW thats going to be filled to capacity.

im not short!!!! T_T ok maybe just a little....

and i hope i can keep my composure also......i hope i may photograph him and add him to my portfolio as well :D

Ooo ... that'd be exciting if you got to photograph him! I'd say start trying now, start talking with Otakon staff and stuff, you never know what may happen ... just don't forget to bring your camera >.<

i know tif!! im trying to sort through all the pics i shot at ct and post them up on my portfolio site before like i request persmission....

and i wont make the same mistake as i did at cbgb T_T i still wanna cry about that...the bad thing is sometimes even if they dont allow it ill say ill leave it in the bag but like...my bag is hug X_X

but yay!!! cant wait yoshikiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Back
Top Bottom