What's new

Osechi ryori

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
With no family visits or travelling scheduled during the New Year's holidays, we decided to indulge in a bit of food luxury and ordered a three-tiered set of osechi-ryōri. This was our first time to enjoy it at home, as the osechi delights usually happen at the in-laws. We opted for a Hokkaidō -themed set that was delivered in a faux lacquered box, a jūbako (重箱).

full

Tier 1:

full

Tier 2:

full

Tier 3:

full

An interesting combination of ingredients and flavours, all in all, 42 different types of fare supposed to be eaten over several days. And did I mention New Year's sake for breakfast?

Did you have any osechi this year? Please share them. :)

full

full

More on osechi in our oshogatsu article.

I was amused with your terminology - my country is currently under four tiers of restrictions depending on the amount of Covid-19 in the area. Anyway, Mrs Lothor laid on this feast, admittedly much of it bought preprepared.

Attachments

• 20210101_103729.jpg
    20210101_103729.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 155
Haha, I wasn't sure what to call them: layers, tiers, levels... 😊

Oh, and that does look delicious!

We opted for a Hokkaidō-themed set that was delivered in a faux lacquered box, a jūbako (重箱).
How much did it cost if I may ask? If we lived in Japan we'd probably be buying too.

My wife kept it simple this year. Usually we have guests. Not depicted is the sashimi which we had later at dinner. Pretty much all homemade including the datemaki.
1BD36E9F-90CB-4C97-BDD1-D6F45F2B8F9E.jpeg

A2C4FE1D-CCAF-4D72-831C-7CCB112ECD30.jpeg

Very beautifully arranged, Mike!

How much did it cost if I may ask? If we lived in Japan we'd probably be buying too.

The (three-layered) Hokkaido set came at around 16,000 JPY. They also offered a "fusion set" with a blend of traditional osechi and French cuisine. Next time, I'd probably opt for the traditional kaiseki-styled Kyoto set. Anyhow, I hope that next year's oshogatsu festivities will not be "under lockdown".

It does look very nice. I would be interested in the Koyto set as well. My wife made osechi as she does when we are in the US with a few prepared items from the Japanese supermarket. When in Japan we have it at the family ryokan where various cousins and such meet and it is quite a feast in two big rooms. They not only make the osechi but they make their own mochi and such too. This year they did not make osechi and the few who were there actually purchased it and purchased mochi as well. My grandmother in law is in an "old folks home" now and she did not get to go. I do enjoy the big feasts at the ryokan we did it at obon as well.

Back
Top Bottom