20201117_150133_(1).jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20201117_150144_(1).jpg
    20201117_150144_(1).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 83
  • PicsArt_11-21-01.49.56.jpg
    PicsArt_11-21-01.49.56.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 81
I see a hole in the base and lid, which would suggest it's not an urn. Does the hole in the top go all the way through? It could be an incense burner. The characters in the sides could be zodiac animals, but I see nothing to make me suspect that it is Japanese.

This could be an incense burner but, honestly, it looks more like an ashtray to me. The twelve figures seem to be zodiac animals but do not look very Asian. @Sheshinez, where did you find this piece?

This could be an incense burner but, honestly, it looks more like an ashtray to me. The twelve figures seem to be zodiac animals but do not look very Asian. @Sheshinez, where did you find this piece?
Yes, could be, I was just trying to guess what kind of vessel would have that kind of lid, without any grooves to hold cigarettes, which is often a telltale sign for ashtrays

Yes, could be, I was just trying to guess what kind of vessel would have that kind of lid, without any grooves to hold cigarettes, which is often a telltale sign for ashtrays

That's true... just a non-smoker's wild guess. :)

That's true... just a non-smoker's guess. :)
it's also so deep! It's just hard to guess at its intended function.. it doesn't really look like any incense burner I've seen either. Even if there is a through-hole in the lid, that's not a very effective incense burner, as they usually allow much more airflow.

At any rate, there's no signature and the aesthetic is hard to place in the hemisphere.

I was looking at it the wrong way earlier: the bottom looks like an ashtray. Shouldn't post before the morning coffee kicks in, lol.

Anyhow, I found some Chinese zodiac figurines on Alibaba that resemble those displayed on the object. They could be Chinese.

chinese-zodiac-figurines.jpg

Back
Top Bottom