What's new

NK Missile test.

Japan18sekideul

Registered
17 Jun 2006
I think it is absolutely disgusting the way in which Japan approaches issues internationally. Forget the fact that they blatantly dismissed world opinion on whaling... they suddenly disguise threats under world opinions regarding NK missile testing. Honestly speaking, NK has as much right as any other sovereign nation to acquire and develop missiles to protect its own interests.
Especially against a nation that throughout history has been violently aggressive to its neighbours, since when do we trust the Japanese? it isn't that long ago, grandparents remember firsthand still... hell Japan says it will never develop such arms of its own, but what happened to all that missing plutonium and technology available to them... did anyone forget to mention the current plant which the NK are using used to be a Japanese project plant? It's not only the Japanese, it's the US... you see how they attack other countries now without even bothering to plant the evidence properly... WMD's... the world becomes more and more hypocritical... it's sick.

I think the Japanese government's foreign policy is a sham and an embarrassment...

taepodongx said:
I think the Japanese government's foreign policy is a sham and an embarrassment...
Yes, totally agreed.
The govenment should take her tough and right measures against crimes like your Aussie F-111.

taepodongx said:
Honestly speaking, NK has as much right as any other sovereign nation to acquire and develop missiles to protect its own interests.
Kim Jong-Il's another mouthpiece expressed a brilliant idea too:

Seoul Skeptical about N.Korean "Ballistic" Missile Test
Seoul thinks even if a missile is fired, it is not necessarily a military device, and sees reports in the U.S. and Japanese press that claim a launch is imminent as unreliable.
I Say Satellite, You Say Missile
When a stranger stalks the neighborhood carrying a naked blade, you cannot dismiss it saying, "It's all right, that's a kitchen knife."

Have you noticed?

If NK has a kitchen knife what the hell does the US have in its pockets? Also considering that it was the nation that tested it out on Japan.

Well, you could dwell on Japans WW2 history if you were really so small minded and petty but I'll take a stab and explain why north korea is the bad guy here.
It tried to invade its neighbour.
Its one of the last bastions of "communist" dictatorships, which still to this day says mean things about the democratic west.
Japan hasnt so much as raised a gun-barrel at another country within the 60 years since it paid for its war-crimes via nukes.
need I go on?.
I appriciate the effort at discussion, if thats what this was, but, Its hard to discuss an issue which has been presented in an arguably rantish NK big-up.

Last edited:
The missile test.

first of all, it is not illegal, according to "The Economist".

Let's assume for the sake of argument that it is a missile and
not merely for satellites. Why would they be building such?
To try and take over the world? South Korea? Take as much
of the world down with them as they can?

I doubt the last one. Kim Jong Il may be a little quirky, but which head
of state is not? ...again, I doubt he is suicidal.

To try to take over the world? Good thing the chair I am sitting
in is merely a foot and a half off the ground.
That idea, if anybody actually does hold it? is rather laughable.

South Korea?
Note the later half of the nineties.
North & South were making peace - all by themselves.
Family reunions took place, sporting events between the two,
other cultural exchanges, even some economic ties.

- polls in recent years in *South Korea* have found that
South Koreans view the US as a greater threat to world peace than
North Korea. Also it is said that SKorean's administration at one
time told the Bush administration that they would rather live with
a nuclear North than follow the US into another war on the penninsula.
It has been estimated that hundreds of thousands would be killed in
the first few weeks of any such war.
The Koreans want to live in peace with their sisters and brothers.
The Korean civil war - yes, civil war, will be resolved someday,
if the US would just back off and let it happen.

-side note-
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the US has insisted that
even after reunification occurred, that the US wants to keep their bases
there.
huhhh?!?

The Koreans want to live in peace with their sisters and brothers.
The Korean civil war - yes, civil war, will be resolved someday,
if the US would just back off and let it happen.

With the US gone, South Korea's democracy and freedoms will be gone as soon as the north thinks its safe to invade, I'm as sure as anyone North korea wants to be unified with the south, its just wants to make sure its under the NK communist regime.

For better or worse, its those US bases and forces along your border which keeps NK from feeling safe and secure in its ability to steamroll SK.

And if SK has the military ability to resist, that still means a civil war, not a cold simmering ceasefire you have now, but a very active and hot war.

Remember that western soldiers died to keep SK's freedoms, and that US soldiers are there to this day to ensure that those freedoms are maintained.

If Korea could be united without a shot fired and everyones rights and freedoms maintained, the US would probably be more then happy to be able to withdraw its troops to send elsewhere.

I've never been a big fan of US foreign policy but sometimes they really did do the right thing.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the US has insisted that
even after reunification occurred, that the US wants to keep their bases
there.
huhhh?!?

Its not uncommon for the US to want bases, Germany hosts US army bases without issue, chances are the Korea bases also serve as a handy military asset around China, China is still technically a communist regime that throws dissidents away, a showbit of military presence probably helps the US in its diplomatic relations with China...for now.

赤化統一

nurizeko said:
With the US gone, South Korea's democracy and freedoms will be gone as soon as the north thinks its safe to invade, I'm as sure as anyone North korea wants to be unified with the south, its just wants to make sure its under the NK communist regime.
South Koreans want to be taken over by Kim Jong-il, that is why they democratically elected the nutcracker president Roh. It is the matter of the ethnic "pride" or their eugenics.

"No Reason to Make a Fuss" over Missiles
"South Korea has no reason to make a fuss about it like Japan did starting early in the morning," the Blue House statement said.

Japan Protests Seoul's Missile Remark, Flexible on U.N. Vote
South Korea's criticism that Japan was making a big fuss over the missile launches were "unacceptable to Japan," Koizumi said.

Briefing on Statements by the Key Cabinet Members of the Japanese Government
We will continue to respond decisively to their arrogance and recklessness.
They are too coward to say "making a fuss" to US, UK and France though.

related thread

I think it would be best to get some of our South Korean friends in here to share their points of view on the topic.

Even without the US, South Korea still has 'stronger' more up-to-date military.

It is true that the US has often kept military bases in other people's countries after conflicts end. The US has over 700 admitted bases & installations in over 120 different countries.

What if Korea did not want any foreign bases in their country after reunification? As they do not.
Would the foreign country (in this case the US) insist on keeping them their?

Mere "ethnic" pride it is not.

Would the people of the US accept bases from a foreign military in their country? See. It has nothing to do with ethnicity.

I would actually argue it has a little more to do with history than even mere nationalism. Though I'd guess it is that too.

South Koreans want to be ruled by NKorea?

Again, let's get our South Korean friends in here on such topics.

-
NKoreans are robots.
pre-programmed to try to conquer the world.
or destroy it.
Let's tell some more lies.

Oh, yeah. I also forgot.
peace is for 'week in the knees sissies'.
Grow up.

it seems that our friend taepodongx didn't last here long, as he couldn't keep from flaming an entire race over what I can only suspect was a personal issue.

I very much miss the contribution of lexico, I would like to hear what he has to say about all this.

Sukotto said:
What if Korea did not want any foreign bases in their country after reunification? As they do not.
I imagine all US, Russia and China will show their open-moused surprise after seeing super nationalistic unified Koreans claiming all the nations must apologize and compensate what they did in the Korean war.
It will be highly likely that Japan would be the most evil among all...

pipokun said:
I imagine all US, Russia and China will show their open-moused surprise after seeing super nationalistic unified Koreans claiming all the nations must apologize and compensate what they did in the Korean war.
Maybe.
Maybe if the "super" powers would have stayed out of it, it wouldn't have been so bad? I blame both at least. Both were delusional in thinking that they had the knowledge to safe the world from themselves.

Some day there will be no "super" powers. And each nation will recognize their sovereignty ends where their borders end. Someday countries will be as despised as racism.

テ。ツク窶佚・窶慊昶?氾個「窶愿コ窶怒窶堙??堙坂?佚芝塚??堋オ窶堙遺?堋ッ窶堙ェ窶堙寂?堙遺?堙ァ窶堙遺?堋「ツ」
ツ「窶「テ?坂?倪?堙坂?認窶溺窶堙遺?堙娯?堙?陳オ窶堋オ窶堋ュツ静凪?堙溪?堙ゥ窶堋ア窶堙??堙債出窶藩??堙遺?堋「窶堋ェツ…ツ」
テ。ツク窶佚・窶慊昶?氾娯?堙債「ニ置ニ鍛ニ歎ニ停?ヲ窶「テ??佚・窶慊昶?氾娯?堋ェ窶徒窶卍ゥ窶朗窶禿「窶佚ィ窶堙ー窶榔窶堙??ォ窶堙娯?佚寂?板ァナ?T窶抂窶堙?陳ゥ窶堙??堋「窶堙ゥ窶堋ス窶堙淞、ツ静?窶慊セ窶堋ェ窶愿ッ窶堋オ窶堋ュ窶堙遺?堙≫?堙??堋「窶堙ゥツ。窶「テ?坂?倪?堙坂?認窶溺窶堙遺?堙娯?堙?陳オ窶堋オ窶堋ュツ静凪?堙溪?堙ゥ窶堋ア窶堙??堙債出窶藩??堙遺?堋「窶堋ェツ、窶愿コ窶怒窶堙??堙坂?佚芝塚??堋オ窶堙遺?堋ッ窶堙ェ窶堙寂?堙遺?堙ァ窶堙遺?堋「ツ」窶堙?津ェ窶堙≫?堋ス窶堙??彖窶堋ヲ窶堋スツ。
The Chosun Ilbo in Japanese version
President Roh reportedly said "As the US is our friendly nation, however we have to confront Japan".
As always, it is unfortunate that Korean media tends to show their double standard in their coverage in English and Japanese.

Back
Top Bottom