What's new

Need tips as a missionary in japan

Hi my name is Mario
I'm 16 years old and I'm attending a Bibel collage

im writeing an essay about japan and how to reach Japan with the gospel. And I'm wondering if ther ar any thing that would be weird or rude to do or say
or any evangelizing "method"* that would be wrong ...

exempels on "methods"*
festivals ... like gathering a lot of people in f.eks. a fotball stadium and build a stage there and using song, dance, drama and things like that to attract people and then sharing the gospel.

long time evangelizing station people in japan and let them work with the people over a longer time

and things like that

*I'm sorry that i used the word "method" maybe I should have used the word category instead

And im sorry that i couldent find any more mathods/categorys.

And sorry for the bad English

please give answers
Thank you

Last edited:
I would try giving flyers on metro stations as people will more likely read what you've to say there (due to all the waiting for and in the train). Anything else than that, I find very intruding.

I for instance, hate when a Jehovah witness start stalking me for no apparent reason and without warning.

thank you for your answer but I was looking for more about what would be rude or unpolite if it would be wrong against the culture or things like that

How about not teaching them the Gospels? They have their own religion and it has suited them for the past 2000+ years, and it is a bit more peaceful than christianitys' history. :eek:
I'm sure you wouldn't like it very much if someone from a different religion started preaching to you whilst you were on the way to work or going home.

You can always put in your homework, not to teach the gospels to people who already have an established religion, especially when it is older than yours. I know that is probably as bad as saying Jesus didn't exist to your tutors, but it is something that maybe, just maybe christians such as yourself and your tutors should consider.
Here is a quote from an Ottowan War leader and Native American called Obwandiyag, better known as Pontiac:
They came with a Bible and their religion, stole our land, crushed our spirit and now tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved
Think on it.

I've a great method everyone should adapt.
Ok, here it goes.

Me: Hello there!
Subject: Hello.
Me: Wanna convert to my faith, so I won't have to kill your children?
Subject: Sure.
Me: Thank You for your cooperation.

GG!

This is how you convert someone lol.
Don't try without bulletproof armour and helm, also, include painkillers and blood bags.

please be real it's a school assignment
ain't I allowed to do my homework without being criticized
just because i write about it dosen't mean that i'm going to do it
c'mon, stop goofing around, if you know something please give me an decent answer

Come on man, just BS something. Its not like you have to put your heart and soul into it, its just homework, you can write anything as long as your tutors are satisfied, so just use your imagination.

you have to write 30 pages about proselytizing in Japan? What kind of school is this?

If you want to approach this logically, you should make a list of all of the evangelical techniques, then run through the list and explain why they would or wouldn't work in Japan, then propose a plan using the techniques you've deemed effective. How you would judge the effectiveness of these methods depends on your knowledge of Japan, and more importantly, access to information on the subject.

If you really wanted to analyze the situation, you could take Mycernius's suggestion and propose that, based on your research, aggressive evangelism may not be an effective approach in Japan at all.

you have to write 30 pages about proselytizing in Japan? What kind of school is this?
It's a Bible school, so it doesn't really surprise me.
If you really wanted to analyze the situation, you could take Mycernius's suggestion and propose that, based on your research, aggressive evangelism may not be an effective approach in Japan at all.
Methinks that schools with such a highly biased agenda might not like an essay that goes against the grain.
You could either do as I say and suggest that such techniques are not good and evangelising is not an approach to use in Japan. It could be a very good essay, but in reality it would probably get a bad grade.
Or you could just say what they want you to say and get a good grade, but that would be just want they want to hear. No dissent from the ranks, no critical thinking allowed.
The choice is yours. Be a sheep or do a proper analysis and essay on the subject. I would go with Nice Gaijins suggestion. It should easily fill 30 pages. Even more if you use a big font:D

It's a Bible school, so it doesn't really surprise me.
Methinks that schools with such a highly biased agenda might not like an essay that goes against the grain.

Lol, If they gave me a bad grade for doing that, I'd bloody go and tell them to point out the mistakes one-by-one.

30 pages!? I cant even write that much as an undergrad! Perhaps its different for a bible college.

I wouldnt have a clue on how to reach the gospel to the Japanese...of course other than obviously learning the language and culture extensively first.

Mario> I'm sorry but asking for advice and talking about religion, particularly one that stirs up peoples emotions, like Christianity, on a forum like this will more often than not be met with ridicule and sarcasm. I have seen a correlation with lots of people (Westerners) who have an interest in Japan and a dislike for Christianity. So please try not to be surprised or offended by these reactions.

Now my two cents on your questions. I would say most Japanese people view Christianity as a "foreigner's thing" and have quiet a lot of apathy towards it. And even the ones that are interested, are interested out of curiosity to know about it, but don't see it as applicable to them because it's again a "foreigner's thing". However, I don`t think you will be met with a lot of opposition (persecution) for sharing your faith, since there is really no "rebellious attitude" towards Christianity here like there can be found abundantly in Western countries. You may however be met with some fear (which could be bad too) since some Japanese people equate organized religion with cults.. and thats when things like the Tokyo gas attacks happen.

In any case an indirect approach is probably the best with Japanese people.

People generally shy away from serious religion here. They call themselves adaptable and pragmatic, cause they celebrate a very secular Christmas (mostly just for kids and couples that have just fallen in love), they go to the Shinto shrine on the New Years, and they attend funerals and memorial services at Buddhist temples (most of them do anyways, some are also Christian).

Being seriously religious in a lot of Japanese eyes might be repeating the mistakes of their past, such as the Emperor worship during WW II, they also point to the Islamic Jihadists as another reason why religion is not a good idea. A lot feel that religion causes a lot of wars.

You could try asking some religious people in Japan what the best way to reach out to people is, but it would be challenging here to preach whatever religion it is you're preaching.

I heard of a van with some 'be saved or go to hell' slogan on it driving around here. Fortunately the Japanese don't really understand English well enough to know what it says, cause it's a prosyletization method that has turned a lot of people off from Christianity in other countries. These days it's more along the lines of 'I'm living in paradise now cause I've got Jesus in my life'.

I've got a very religious Christian women in my class, and she talks about God and Christianity for her presentations. There is one student there who doesn't mind discussing it a little with her, and another who's just interested in religions of all kinds, but the rest of the class tunes out or mutter to each other something about religion being unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom