What's new

Need some traveling advice. Never been to Japan before

SEYZJP

先輩
4 Aug 2008
Hello. I am going to Japan on my own with my own money(since my college canceled my program that I wanted to attend) and I am a bit worried. I am going at the end of May and want to keep this trip fairly simple. I am planning on spending 6 days in Tokyo, 5 in Osaka, and another 5 with my friend in Korea.

I was wondering what is the best way to get from Tokyo to Osaka and back. I know they have trains and buses but I am not sure how much they are, how long they take, ect.

Can anyone help me out here? I haven't done much travel on my own.

Thanks

Look up the Japan Rail Pass.

Also, buy yourself a Lonely Planet: Japan guidebook.

Do research and find out what you'd like to do. You can spend hours/days/weeks with the information in a Lonely Planet.

The shinkansen (bullet train) would be your most efficient method in getting to Osaka. You might also want to look up the train stations you will be visiting, to familiarize yourself with the exits you need to take. The major stations can resemble a maze to first-timers. Enjoy your trip.😄

Well, I am only going between Osaka and Tokyo, so that rail passes for $450 are not a good investment.

Just another question, how much am I look at price wise to go from Tokyo to osaka by train. Also how much by bus?

SeyzJP

Buses are much cheaper. The price varies depending on the bus companies but the cheapest is around JPY3,500 - JPY4,500 (single journey).
Normally the bus leaves around 21:00-22:00 and arriving at the destination (Tokyo/Osaka) around 7:00-8:00 next morning.

Shinkansen trains cost a lot more, around JPY14,000, but it takes only 2.5hours.

Well, I am only going between Osaka and Tokyo, so that rail passes for $450 are not a good investment.
Just another question, how much am I look at price wise to go from Tokyo to osaka by train. Also how much by bus?
SeyzJP

Didn't look very hard, did you?

Discount Codes, Coupons and Promotions for UK Stores | Promocodex

Japan Rail Passes for non-green cars start at 28,300 yen.

Considering a bullet train round trip ticket for Tokyo <-> Osaka would cost you 13,750 x 2 = 27,500, there's only a 800 yen difference between the two.

Additionally, the pass works for 7 days on all JR lines, making your transportation even within Osaka... free.

Seriously, the biggest money saver in existence if you care about time at all.

I guarantee you will regret taking the bus, especially if you are over 5'10".

He's looking at the price for the 14 day JR Pass. What you have to do is just look at the one for the 7 day. Your first few days in Tokyo just use regular tickets or farecards, then "activate" your 7 Day JR Pass for your trip to Osaka and back (which is within 7 days) will only come out to 28300 yen.

If you are looking to save even more money, but travel with speed, then I recommend the Kodama Shinkansen plan:

Comes out to about 20,000 yen roundtrip.
tokyoexpert.blogspot.com/2009/02/kodama-puratto-economy-plan-discount.html

If you want even cheaper then, under 5000 overnight bus from 123bus.net would be your best choice.

If you are looking to save even more money, but travel with speed, then I recommend the Kodama Shinkansen plan:

Wow, that's a good find. Thanks for posting it!

Kodama might be kind of annoying if you're traveling with all the stops, but yeah, that's a lot cheaper.

Get street maps of Tokyo and other cites you plan to visit. The best source is through Japan National Tourist Organization (JNTO). They're free! They also have brochures on different attractions.

I had tried to use the puratto over New Year's but for some reason, the day I was traveling on wasn't available...have you used it before? When I tried to use it before I was in a city, but is there a way to buy it from the countryside without having to travel 2 hours? :(

Well New Year of course is one of the top travel seasons like Golden Week so all Shinkansen trains are sold out 100% during those periods.

The plan has to be purchased at designated travel centers so I'm not sure where you might be but here's a list if you can read Japanese:
jrtours.co.jp/shop

JTB should also sell them, so check out JTB shops:
jtb.co.jp/shop

As for the Kodama, it is the slowest of the Shinkansen, but it is still fast when compared to the next mode which is bus.

Hi Seyzjp,

I know this website who has good information about JR pass and it tell you how to get one. //japan-i.jp/traffic/railway/d8jk7l000000ukef.html

I hope it will help you, have a nice trip!

Shin

Back
Top Bottom